Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2003 7:57:51 AM EDT
My local dealer has an early SP1 on consignment, they're asking 1150.  It's not like new, but it's in great condition, and I'm just itching to get it.  Think 1150's worth it?  I see pre-ban Colt lowers going for a grand by themselves.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:06:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Its definately not a rip off price, but its not a great bargain either.   with the expiration less than a year away, and nobody knowing what is really gonna happen, its anybodies guess what will happen to prices.   bottom line is if you can get a little off, like 50-100, and it is worth it to you, than it is a fair bargain.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#2]
go for it, it's a good deal IMO
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, it would clean me out... and I'm already building up on a RRA lower, but... a man can own two AR-15s, right?
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yeah, it would clean me out... and I'm already building up on a RRA lower, but... a man can own two AR-15s, right?
View Quote

A man can own 5 like I do, or 8 -10 like some others on this site[:D]
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hahahah. If you can stop at 2 you're a stronger willed man than I!

I think SP-1s will be cheap in a year but who the hell knows for sure. I just spent over 2K on a NIB preban M4. Shit, if you really want it, then it's probably worth it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I plan on moving to a Class III state soon, and probably want to invest in an RDIAS... so I can set it up as an M16A1.  But, Illinois is actually turning around, we may even get CCWs in the near future.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, I plan on moving to a Class III state soon, and probably want to invest in an RDIAS... so I can set it up as an M16A1.  But, Illinois is actually turning around, we may even get CCWs in the near future.
View Quote

I'd buy the RDIAS first. You can always get the rifle later. The RDIAS is just going to keep escalating in price. At least it will unless there is some major change in the gun laws in this country and I ain't holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#8]
The problem being that at the moment I *can't* get the RDIAS. :(  So, even if I get the SP-1 and never get the RDIAS, I've still got the SP-1.  Actually, what I *really* want is to build a 9mm sub-gun out of it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I hear ya. Get the SP-1. Doubt you'll regret it and you can always buy another if the price drops[:D]

I keep looking at them myself but I've got plenty to shoot and will wait until 9/04 to see what happens. It's an awful addiction[devil]
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Actually, I've never shot an AR.  I shot the hell out of my A2 down at Fort Knox, but never since.  Kinda want to get the feeling back.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 6:58:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Actually, I've never shot an AR.  I shot the hell out of my A2 down at Fort Knox, but never since.  Kinda want to get the feeling back.
View Quote

It's like riding a bike. Trust me on that.

Got out of the Marines in '80 and bought my first AR in '93. Didn't skip a beat!
Have lots of stuff now but still like my ARs best.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#12]
SP1's are so sweet , kind of like that first peice of ass. My not be what you want to marry , but you will always remember her.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:45:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Went and put a down-payment on it, now I got a couple weeks to pay it off.  It was sitting right next to a post-ban Colt for the same price.  The choice was obvious.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Jack_Archer,

It's a fair price for a Colt and a pre-ban at that.

There is an added factor which seems to be over-looked when folks talk about the sunset of the AWB...Colt most likely ain't going to make no more SP1s.  Unless for reasons of nostalgia.(But even a re-run were brought out, it wouldn't be an "original")  So figure some intrinsic value is in there as well (Read: "collector value", although IMHO limited)

I can't see Colt making slab sided lowers in the future.

Since you put a down payment on it, sounds like you got yourself a fine rifle.

Sly
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top