Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2003 5:00:07 AM EDT
So far 25 grains of Varget under a 68 grain Nosler for .64" is my most accurate five shoot average group. That is to say .64" is the average of five, five shot groups. I have not beat this with any factory loads or hand loads including several with Nosler 77 grain and Hornady 75 grain bullets. What does you RRA Varminter like??
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 5:12:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry I can't really answer your question.  To be honest, I'd like to hear other people's answers.  I'm still waiting patiently (yea, right) on my Varmint upper.  The lower is sitting in the safe.

I don't reload, yet.  So I was thinking of starting out with some Black Hills 69-grain and 77-grain loads.  Which factory loads did you try?  

Also, could you describe the rifle a little more and how you're shooting (i.e. benchrest, bipod, prone, what optics etc.)?

The lower I built is a RRA lower with a Jewell two-stage trigger.  I plan to use a Harris swivel style bipod.  The glass I bought for this rifle is a Nikon Monarch Uss 4-12x40.  I'll mount the scope with an ARMS rail (due to eye relief) and ARMS 22L rings.

Sounds like your shooting that rifle pretty good though.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 5:27:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 16", and surprisingly, the Hornady line has been very accurate for me. I'm not a great shooter, but it will hold sub-MOA, around .75"  That's using the 75gr. Match ammo.

Then the Black Hills 68gr heavy match hollow point gves about the same. I've never tried handloads, so i don't know about that. but I do know that the RRA Varmint is really accurate.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been loading 80gr. and 69gr. Sierra Matchkings over H4895 and N140 respectively.  Both  have been really good loads for me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Bookhound:I'm an old Varmint hunter who has been loading for the 223 for many years but I did try some factory loads. All the ammo below is fired at 100 yds and groups are the average of five, five shot groups. My RRA is a 24" and at the time I shot these groups it had a TASCO 10X Super Sniper scope. It now wears a Leupold 6-24 50mm side focus with a 30mm tube and mildots.
Federal eagle 50 grain flat base HP .76", X193 = 1.37", Wolf 55 g FMJ 2.53", S&B 55 grain FMJ 2.3", S&B 62 gr 2.09", Q3131a= 1.55". Of the seven different loads I have tried with the 75 grain Hornady all but one were between .73-.97". These loads used N140,RL15,Vaget and TAC. The load with TAC went 1.23". Don't judge the rifle by the groups listed above. Using the most accurate 69 gr SMK load I made 19 out of 20 hits on a 4" steel disc at 400 yards. This rifle can shoot a lot better than I can. I will be trying more loads this week end. If you are interested I will post the specifics. Several factory rounds are in the ammo locker.
Thanks for the replys guys...please keep them coming.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry bookhound I missed part of your question. I used a portable bench, bipod and a sand bag under the rear of the stock.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I use 25 grains varget with the 69 gr sierra's,cci br4 primers -they shoot under a minute at 200 and 300 yards,  Long range loads - I use the 80 gr sierra's with 24 gr varget and cci br4 primers - the 80 gr bullets are seated right out to the lands - that load shoots under a minute at 600 yards.  I also have had very good results with H4895 and N140.  The noslers(69 & 80 gr bullets) work very well with the same varget loads.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top