Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2003 3:27:02 PM EDT
I found a "preban" Colt in a local shop for sale at a decent price. When I began taking a closer look, I started to question its preban status.

So, I checked the list at www.mp5.net and according to that list, it is a postban rifle.

To further verify, I called Colt and it turns out they couldn't find record of this S/N on the computer or microfische!!!

So I call the shop back to verify that I had the correct S/N, which I did. The shop's explanation for the preban status of the rifle was that Colt hard started tooling up for postban production before the date of the ban and produced a preban rifle on a "postban" range S/N. Something of a "gray" area rifle.

I know Colt has done some seriously messed up things in regards to rifle configuration and production runs, so the shop's explanation does hold at least a little bit of water.

FWIW, the rifle seems to be in great shape. It is a carbine with an A2 upper. The finish is the old dark gray, not black like the new rifles. I think it is a small hole Lightweight Sporter lower with an A2 stock but with a flash hider/non-buyo upper.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Wes
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#1]
My personal opinion would be to avoid it. There are many, many verifiable pre-ban Colt AR-15 rifles for sale out there. I'd rather choose one of them than a questionable one. Not to mention that the whole pre/post ordeal has a very good chance of disappearing in less than a year.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top