Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2003 8:06:38 PM EDT
Curious as to wether any aftermarket companies make an upper or other part that eliminates the traditional AR/M16 gas system.  Something that would eliminate a buffer and buffer tube?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't Oly and Alan Zitta(ZM Weapons)  do this?Regards,Blade
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 1:04:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The ZM Weapons system definitely dumps the buffer tube, and I know that someone made a gas piston version but I can't reference it cause I forgot who did it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:35:31 AM EDT
[#3]
If I remember, a company called Rhino once advertised a conversion unit that replaced the front sight base, gas tube, and carrier key with an FAL style gas piston setup.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:59:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Look Into an AR-180. I don't know too much about them...But I've heard that they're supposed to be stoners far better and improved design which no one picked up, because they were all caught up in the AR-15.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:15:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If I remember, a company called Rhino once advertised a conversion unit that replaced the front sight base, gas tube, and carrier key with an FAL style gas piston setup.
View Quote

I knew it would pay off. I keep old magazines and I remembered one that had an article on the Rhino Gas System.

Here a good picture showing parts:

[img]http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data/500/18991Rhino.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:39:35 AM EDT
[#6]
ooooo that looks fancy! I want one! Anyone know about any reliability improvements with this thing? Anyone have any more info on it?
Where can I find one?
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 7:09:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ooooo that looks fancy! I want one! Anyone know about any reliability improvements with this thing? Anyone have any more info on it?
Where can I find one?
View Quote

Rhino has been out of business for years. In fact, I think they went out of business back in 1989 or 90. The company came back as Shooter's Supply Inc, then they went under after the ATF raided them for possible connection to the Branch Davidians.

It might be worth remanufacturing. Over the years, I've seen a few, but very rare to come by.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Look Into an AR-180. I don't know too much about them...But I've heard that they're supposed to be stoners far better and improved design which no one picked up, because they were all caught up in the AR-15.
View Quote

[b]Stoner DID NOT design the AR-18/AR-180.  Those rifles were designed by Art Miller.[/b]

However, "Lockedon" is correct regarding the better gas system used by the AR-18/AR-180.  In fact, ArmaLite's current AR-15 offerings (the M15A2, M15A4, etc.) borrow heavily from the AR-18/AR-180 gas system.  (Probably I shouldn't post this info due to competitive reasons but it is true none the less.  From ArmaLite's President:  "I figured ArmaLite knew a heckuva lot more by the time they designed the AR-18/AR-180 !!")
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#9]
SHRIKE.......get in line
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#10]
[img]http://www.olyarms.com/images/oa93pt.jpg[/img]  Olympic overhead recoil system used on all "OA" models (this is the OA93-PT).  Spring/operating rod in the tube above the barrel and side charging handle.  No buffer tube.  You can buy just the upper.
Here's what it looks like with the stock detached.  (postban legal)
[img]http://www.olyarms.com/images/oa93ptstockattached.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Todd (ick) Bailey is designing a G36 style gas system for the AR15. I believe his website is www.hk-54.com.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
SHRIKE.......get in line
View Quote

Let's see, when was the SHRIKE due to ship ??  Was it March, April.............??

I almost always say adults can spend their money in any manner.  However, when this garbage deal was posted I strongly advised against falling for this deal.  [b]IMHO what SHRIKE management did was to raise venture capital without an SEC approved offering memorandum and, if correct, that is NOT legal.[/b]

Hope this deal eventually turns out alright for our members who contributed.  If not, I believe you'll have a pretty fair basis for suit.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top