Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2003 3:55:20 PM EDT
My wife finally got her new 97S Carbon 15 in. I have given it a thorough going over and thought I'd post a little review for anyone that was interested.
First, I notice quite a few things that Bushmaster said they were changing from the PO C15's, and all for the better.
The following parts are all milspec (or so they appear visially) parts.
All fire control parts.
Bolt
Cam pin
firing pin
firing pin retaining pin
carrier key
charging handle (standard handle, except the t-part is polymer)
front sight post
rear sight app.

The bolt carrier is almost milspec, but is shorter, and has a few different cuts.
It appears from looking at it, that it could be converted over to a milspec carrier, buffer tube, buffer, buffer spring, and standard stock, with a few minor mods.
The upper fit onto my standard Bushy lower a little tight, but other wise just fine. I put one of my uppers on the Carbon 15 lower, and it fit a little snug as well, but it fit none the less.
The upper rail is an one piece all alloy unit. I put my Aimpoint/Arms #22M68 on it real quick, and it fit perfectly. Nice and tight with no movement at all.
I remember reading on here where someone had a PO version, and it got knocked over and shifted the forearm, or something like that. Below is a pic looking down the barrel under the forearm, and as you can see, there is a center piece that goes around the barrel. This one isnt moving. All in all I am very impressed. The proof is in the pudding though, so we'll have to see how it shoots. Will post that report then. Here are a few pics for now.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#1]
WHAT? No pics of it with your woman holding it?

You suck!

Sweet looking rifle.  Good man.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#2]
She was already laying down when I got home with it. Getting her out of bed for pics would have been pure suicide. She did play with it for a while though. Really likes it. I had to beg her to let me have it for a few minutes to break it down and clean it, and take the pics.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#3]
awesome

looks good.

hope it shoots!

i want one now!

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks good Hawk, let us know how she shoots.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#5]
5.3 pounds with loaded mag. Nice.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:07:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
5.3 pounds with loaded mag. Nice.
View Quote

Slightly less than that with 20 rnd mags, which is what my wife will be using.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:56:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Range Report ASAP! I'm still at GunStock and Jarrod from Bushmaster just about memorized my Debit Card Number(maybe not such a good thing![B)])...
View Quote

[lolabove]
Boxes from Bushmaster might begin to mysteriously show up on your doorstep.

Will be another week or so before we can get to the range.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to follow this as light-weight is good as far as these type of rifles are concerned.  I just, for some reason, don't like the looks of the front handguard, but if it works (ergonomically), then I guess that's the most important thing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 10:00:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Hawkeye, any way you could measure the length of pull? If you've the time, could you also measure from the charging handle to the rear of the stock? Looks like at least A1 or A2 length. I do like the way this looks.
Thanks.....Chad
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:38:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Hadnt thought about that. Will try to do it in the next day or two.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Isn't it about time for a range report?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:30:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The upper rail is an one piece all alloy unit. I put my Aimpoint/Arms #22M68 on it real quick, and it fit perfectly. Nice and tight with no movement at all.
View Quote

Does the Aimpoint co-witness on the #22 with the rail being so high?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Isn't it about time for a range report?
View Quote

Will be shooting it this Sunday. [;)]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Does the Aimpoint co-witness on the #22 with the rail being so high?
View Quote

Unfortunately, no, it will not co witness.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#16]
How much are these?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#17]
It is good to know that a standard car stock might fit.  If they fart around and let the AWB sunset a BM carbon with a colapsible stock would be a real cool project.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#18]
That is one ugly rifle.  On the other hand the evolution of the Ar15 is always interesting.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top