Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2003 12:53:43 PM EDT
Does anyone have a picture of a tactical bolt catch installed? Several different views would be nice, trying to decide if this is the way to go or is it just one more thing to snag and possibly cause a problem?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#2]
New charging handle - Good
New bolt catch - Bad
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a picture of a tactical bolt catch installed? Several different views would be nice, trying to decide if this is the way to go or is it just one more thing to snag and possibly cause a problem?
View Quote

I bought one for my CAR and put it on because I thought it looked "cool" and would give me more area to grab.
 Don't waste your money!!!  It catches on everything and digs into you when holding it . I removed it in a couple of weeks and it is now in a box of "extras I bought but now have no use for." I put the original catch back on and that's the way it will stay.

[beer]
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of the DPMS Tac Latches installed on my shorty. Works great when wearing gloves and at the range. Haven't had it grab or snag anything yet, but it does protrude more than a stock latch. That said, the jury is still out on whether to keep it or change it back.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=34121&iGalleryUnq=861&iImageUnq=14159[/img]
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank's for the replys Boy's I guess I'll pass after all. I'm putting together another lower...$hit-can that idea

Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, I don't have one on my new gun just yet, but I had one on my old AR. If you're going to be scoping the gun, it's not a bad thing to have. It makes charging the gun much easier. I know quite a few people that use them on their patrol/deployment rifles, and they're very happy with them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#7]
here is a nice big pic of the one i have. I think it works well but would not want it in a truly tactical situation. it tends to catch on your gear. but it is really fast for any type of competition. Mine is from [url=http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=9900&title=AR-15+EXTENDED+BOLT+RELEASE&s=25787#25787]SURE SHOT PRODUCTS[/url]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=11232[/img]
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 2:08:56 AM EDT
[#8]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=17021[/img]

Got the DPMS tac bolt catch installed, sorry, you can hardly make it out in the pic.

I also installed their tactical Mag release on the other side.  I had these parts from long ago, thought I would give them a try and also see if I could save some money using parts I already had.

For most people, I would recommend AGAINST IT!  The rifle you see is a range rifle.  The parts stick out so far they annoy me.  They could easily catch on stuff they brush against.  The only positive thing I can see about them is that they are easily manipulated by gloved hands, so this will make a nice rifle for Alaska in the winter.  I would never use those controls for a tactical situation.  Calling them tactical is oxymoronic.

Use them only on a range gun, or for hard core winter use.  Don't waste your money.  Don't fix what ain't broke.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 5:48:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I just received one from SOGARMORY.  I put it on and took it off.  As the other members noted, it protrudes too far and snags on everything, including my tactical sling.  As thedr13 stated, it is now in my box of 'extras' to maybe sell to the next sucker.
I have a machine shop and am working on a better version.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 5:57:19 AM EDT
[#10]
stingerjg, is there any useless junk you won't put on your rifle?
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:07:16 AM EDT
[#11]
The biggest problem with the tac-latches that stick out to one side is that they twist and overly stress the very lightweight structure of the charging handle's forward projection when operated.  In other words, the AR design over comes this "very lightweight structure" by making the rear of the handle so you can best pull it with two fingers...very symetrically.
So the "lines of force" are applied on as straight line and therefore no twisting.
I have seen charging handles and upper receivers nearly ruined by just a few hundred test pulls on these extending latches because their twisting inside the track in the UR concentrates all the force on/along a very small area.  By this I mean customers have returned either their rifles or their charging handles for "repair" because all the finish had worn off along just one side.
In fact, we (KAC) refused to install them on US Navy SEAL Mk 11's after our testing showed this accellerated wear.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been using a tac latch for about a year now and consider it essential. The latch isn't something you use all the time on AR. Basically there are just two times you use it: when you initally charge the weapon, if the bolt isn't locked back and when doing a malfuction drill. The first one doesn't really matter. It is an administrative function; there is no reason to do it quickly and there is no pressure when doing it. A malfunciton however is a SHTF senario. All the ARs that I shoot on a regular basis are equiped with a single point sling and of course all have the attachment plate sticking out the left side of the weapon between the rear of the lower reciever and the stock. During my first two carbine classes, we obviouly practiced doing malfuntion drills. We were of course under a lot of pressure to do them as quickly as possible. I found that I kept catching my thumb nail on the single point attachment plate and even once bent the nail back which was extremly painful. I really like my single point sling and wouldn't even consider going to another sling set-up. But I can be having stuff on my carbine that is painful. And I am not going to practice malfunction drills if I am going to hurt myself. So, my solution to the problem was three fold. #1 I replaced my single point attachment plate from The Wilderness with one from Daniel Defense which is angled down slightly giving my thunb more clearance. #2 I added a tac latch which allows me to run the bolt with my hand further out on the charging handle. #3 I load every magazine in practice with one snap cap so that I have to do at least one malfunction drill per mag making the drill instinctive and smooth. I have found that these three things have totally eliminated the problem. I never had a problem at all with the tac latch catching on my gear. I never had a problem with the tac latch coming open. However, not long after first installing my tac latch I replaced the great big one with the PRI Big Latch; actually the whole PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle.
For my set-up, I wouldn't go without a bigger tac latch.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought one and had a gunsmith cut off the latch so it was just like a Standard Charging handle! [whacko]
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank's for the replys but I'm not asking about the tact charging handle I'm refering to the tact bolt catch......
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the DPMS bolt catch on severaml of my AR's. I like it overall.  It's never snagged on anything yet.  ymmv

As for charging handle latches, I have three Badgers that redide in my 'junk parts box'.  I replaced them with PRI latches. I have seven PRIs, and I wouldn't have an AR without one. They are just big enough to do the job, without snagging/poking/gouging on everything.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes I think some of the people are confused:

Tac Latch is on charging handle.  The PRI is good to go.  Badger pulls to side real bad like coldblue says.

Bolt catch.  Not good to go.  Catches on stuff.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
stingerjg, is there any useless junk you won't put on your rifle?
View Quote

bite me!

nothing is 'useless junk' when it comes to 3-gun matches.

this is what it looks like now
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=17792[/img]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top