Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2003 7:43:01 PM EDT
I've been looking at ACE ARFX-E stocks due to their size, but I really like the look of the Tele-stocks...The standard fixed one from bushmaster is too long for my tastes.
Is it possible (and most of all legal)to take a Collapsable telestock adjust it down to the perfect size, and then permanently fix it? Perhaps with J.B. Weld?
At least for now until the ban (hopefully) sunsets.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the same problem and used JB Weld, drilled a hole through the side and pinned it and covered it up and the squeezed Shoo-goo into it.There was no way you could adjust it w/o breaking it.Some have said the ATF doesn't consider this permanent but I wasn't too concerned.I'd check the laws since it's your hide and not mine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have very much the same question/problem.  I unfortunately am stuck with a post-ban M4gery right now and find the fixed tele-stock to be set way too long.  When I have the rifle shouldered comfortably, my cheek is on the metal post of the stock and barely in contact with the plastic stock at all.  I don't want to give up the tele-stock style either, as I use KAC quick detach sling swivels that I think are just awesome.  Any information on the legality of fixing a collapsible stock as described above would be very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 12:03:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Sept '04
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:24:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm wondering the same thing, if you pinned a stock to the proper length you want, what's the difference if you pinned it the same way the fully extended stock is pinned? As long as the overall length of the carbine is 30" or longer, there should not be a problem. I'm going to check this with the BATF myself.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:40:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I did this for my wife, taking an adjustable stock and setting it for her lenght of pull.I used epoxy resin to glue everything that would move...now its fixed and you wouldnt even know it wasnt made that way.....If it doesnt adjust its not adjustable.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Vltor A1 on A2 buffer tube. Simply fine! I love mine, getting ready to get another.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Vltor A1 on A2 buffer tube. Simply fine! I love mine, getting ready to get another.
View Quote

Whats the story on these? How do they work?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#8]
It's legal to fix a collapsable stock.  It can't be readily convertable to collapsable.  I take it to mean if you need tools to collapse it, then you are legal.  I don't remember the link to the regulation but it's legal.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's legal to fix a collapsable stock.  It can't be readily convertable to collapsable.  I take it to mean if you need tools to collapse it, then you are legal.  I don't remember the link to the regulation but it's legal.
View Quote

If you can find where you cited this from, you'll be my personal savior!
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#10]
The problem comes in with BATF approval. Many "not-yet-approved" stocks conform to the same standards of the BATF approved stocks, only that the BATF has not put their seal of approval on them. To have one of these stocks on a post ban OR to make your own version is uncharted waters in some respects. It will be very doubtful that it will blow up in your face, but it is THEIR interpretation.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#11]
DO NOT ask the BATFE about this. If it is pinned and the plastic welded over that is considered permanent. We dont need another change in their interpretation like what happened with Ruben and his letter about modifying pre-ban mags.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#12]
ok here is now a more difficult question:

How do you "pin" a stock in a position...woulding ramming a pin through the buffer tube cause severe problems?
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:37:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Why? You're going to throw it out in less than a year anyway.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
ok here is now a more difficult question:

How do you "pin" a stock in a position...woulding ramming a pin through the buffer tube cause severe problems?
View Quote

Not if you put it through the bottom part where the notches are for the adjustment.  This is where all the post ban stocks that are pinned have their pins.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#15]
RRA and I think ASA make post ban CAR stocks (not M-4 stocks) that are the same length as A1 stocks.  I got one for $18 at a gun show and threw it on a post ban Carbine.  The 7/8" (I think) makes a huge difference.

Brad

Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
RRA and I think ASA make post ban CAR stocks (not M-4 stocks) that are the same length as A1 stocks.  I got one for $18 at a gun show and threw it on a post ban Carbine.  The 7/8" (I think) makes a huge difference.

Brad

View Quote

Do you happen to have a link for either one of these? Thanks!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top