Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/28/2003 11:25:57 AM EDT
Lately I've been checking out all the local shooting ranges to see where I'll join. And one common thing I've come across here in Massachusetts at every range I've contacted so far, is a 5 round load limit (can't have more than 5 rounds loaded in any magazine at any time). Makes me wonder why I started to collect 30rd magazines when I can't even fill them to empty them at the range. Do any other members from other states have this limit as well? Or is this just another great 'perk' of living in Mass?
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#2]
the one i shoot at is 3 for rifle, 6 for handgun
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine doesn't allow class 3 weapons to be fired in full auto :(.....
but they have no limit on magazine loading :)
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a range by me that, during hunting season, allows only sinlge rounds loaded at a time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#5]
lol city folks. god i love living out in the middle of no where :]
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#6]
[b] You guys are lucky at my range it's one at a time rifle and 5 or 6 for handgun .

Hey Recon here's something you can try . Take your 30rounders loud your club limit of 5 into about 20 mags, lay them out on your shooting bench and have at it. Your club buddys will think your nuts but just tell'em your practicing mag changes .  [/b]
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope, at the range about 3 miles away I can't even use mags for rifles, and slow fire only on the 25 yard pistol range (the only pistol range).

$100 a year unlimited use is much less than the nearest range that allows rapid fire though, and no high power rifles allowed there.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#8]
No load limit at the indoor range I frequent, NFA is ok also...That is one REALLY good thing about Nebraska..
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#9]
no limits here
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#10]
The state run range near me has a single round only policy. However it is cheap, and a nice facility. Any other place would put a much larger dent in both my poor college student wallet, and schedule.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#11]
6 round pistol, 6 round rifle here in Lancaster, PA.

-HEDHNTR
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#12]
No limit here.  However no rapid fire.  So much for learning to bump-fire.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Of the three ranges that I belong to, one has banned semi's all together, one has 3 shots then stop for a minuite, and the other has the 5 round mag rule.  The shitty thing is less than a year ago all three had no regulations regarding mag capacity!

Link Posted: 10/3/2003 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn!  That sucks.

No limits in any of the ranges I've been to in Central FL.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#15]
County range in Central Florida allows full mags in rifles and handguns.

No full auto.  

I have seen the range master let bump firing go... probably depends on whether it is a regular who has proven that he knows what he is doing or not.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#16]
It's time to move. No cap limit on State run ranges in MO.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Dang, you guys are scaring me. I may live in Montana, but never-the-less, many of the commie regs you guys live under eventally find their way to my state. There are some control freaks at my range too, so I suppose it's only a matter of time.

So what do you guys with single-round limits do with your AR's instead of shoot them? I have some bolt-action hunting rifles I'll trade ya for them... ;)
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#18]
The range closest to me allows single rounds only in centerfire rifles, including bolt actions, on the 100 yard line (the longest range).  

If you ask, the range officer will let you do a "function check".  This allows you to load 3 rounds into the mag and fire them while the RO stands behind you watching.

It's a nice range.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I feel sorry for you guys.  I made my own range in our field with distances of 25, 50 100 and 170yds.  I can do what ever I want, excluding too much bump firing.  I have never even been to a real rifle range, but it does not sound like I am missing any thing.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I feel sorry for you guys.  I made my own range in our field with distances of 25, 50 100 and 170yds.  I can do what ever I want, excluding too much bump firing.  I have never even been to a real rifle range, but it does not sound like I am missing any thing.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#21]
My range limits to 20.

20 aint so bad
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Ok, so there are plenty of people who suffer the same persecution I do. And some that are worse! So anyone have any idea why these limits are in effect?
I can only imagine what the reasons are. J
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#23]
God I do love Arizona!

But, with all the Californians moving in and trying to change things, I'm sure it won't be long for us.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#24]
No doubt in many cases it is political correctness that motivates such rules. And sad to say, but also the dreaded "evil black rifle" that we all cherish is looked upon with fear by many of these so-called sportsman hunters who claim to be pro RKBA...
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#25]
No limits on loading, rapid fire, bump firing, full auto, etc.  Anything goes as long as you're being safe.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#26]
My local club doesn't have any limits on rapid fire or mags. I don't see a rule about class3 on there list but then again I never see any class3 there.

I live in TN.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#27]
It's hot as hell in the summer [ARIZONA] but great gun laws no range limit and if you want you can shoot in the desert on open range.And with a small game license cyotes are moveing targets all year long.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Try finding a local IPSC shooting club, they would not put up with a capacity ban.

[url]http://www.webcom.com/gun_guy/rangesma.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Our range here in eastern PA has a 3-shot limit.  Reason?  Too many fools bring their girlfriends to the range, strike a heroic pose with their AR's or AK's, then blaze away as fast as possible downrange.  It doesn't matter to them if they hit the target, the wood target butts, or someone else.  All they want to do is impress their (equally dumb) girlfriends.  I am happy with the 3-shot limit, and enforce it, when I'm rangemaster.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#30]
My range has no limit. You can shoot any number of rounds, full auto, tannerite, tracers and 50 cal.

I own my own range.
God bless Texas.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#31]
My range doesn't limit rounds or mags but there is a range safety officer who freaks during a cease fire if he even thinks you are touching your guns. He went off on me for digging in my 50 cal ammo can (looking for a screwdriver) and lectured me about accidental discharges while people were downrange!!!!! Some people should have zero authority.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#32]
WOW THAT SUCKS!!!! 5 rds only.

I'm glad its not like that here.

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/area51/SEPDBS%20027.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I live in saint petersburg FL. there is a out door range in town they only let you load one, thats right one round at a time in rifles.needless to say i dont shoot there. luckily there is a range indoors that lets you shoot anything full auto,full mags,anything you can throw down range even 50 bmg.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Tashonka1 I would suggest the reason you have to control the fools is only fools would belong to a dumb ass range with foolish rules.

Thanks for being an anti-gunner.

Shoot a lot of Trap and Skeet do you?

[url]http://myweb.cableone.net/uziforme/M16-9mm.wmv[/url]
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Not too many rules at my club.
Don't bring more than two guests at a time.
Shoot toward the berm.
Pick up the crap before you leave.
Lock the gate when you go.

Load one round at a time [i]when you're shooting trap[/i].

I got to agree with David Hineline.

A three round magazine rule is designed for idiots and enforced by control freaks.

I would not belong to any club with such rules.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#36]
man....I hear about this crap from California guys all the time...glad I live in AZ.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#37]
who said any thing about trap?
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Man, I thought things were F'd up in the Golden State, but Damn! The only restrictions I've experienced in all the ranges I shoot at are no rapid fire. That's it. I'd go nuts if I had to shoot my AR, M1A, or  10/22 one round at a time. [8D]
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey LARRYG36.,my friend ,that shit was plain (MEAN) buddy.You guy's out in az kill me.I,ve been their once and it sure is a beautiful state.Don't know if i could give up green field's and forest's thou.BUT,i am starting to get disgusted with fl.No open land to shoot on,and ranges that go from bad to worst.I have had my f**king belly full of range nazi's.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Never heard of such a thing!
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Man I live in California and I thought our sh#$ was bad. No limit in what you stuff in your magazine. There is no rapid fire at the general rifle and pistol range, and when there is alot of people they are pretty strict.
There are IPSC compititions going on and plinking at the range.
Plinking is only done once a month at 50 yards. But you can bring almost anything to shoot at between 10 feet and 50 yards away so long as it isn't glass or unsafe or flamable.
The first time I witnessed this I saw a five year old girl pick up a custom 10/22 and fire 10 rounds as fast as she could pull the trigger chasing a shot gun shell across the dirt. She was barely high enough to see over the table. I thought this is cool, they must only do this for 22s. Next thing is an asian lady firing an M4gry as fast as she can pull the trigger at aluminum cans, then her husband opens up with an M1A at the same shredded can. Others are going at it with shotguns and hand guns.
I have been going to this range for 15 years and had no Idea that they did this.
The gentleman that ran this plinking area was concerned about safety and a good time with no formal targets. What you shoot at depends on the individual situation. One dude shot a bowling ball with a 300WSM. That was cool. Only rule is that don't shoot at others people stuff and clean up after yourselves. I was told that watermelons make a good show but pumkins absorb alot, and you don't have to clean the fruits up because the deer come down and eat it later.
Its great seeing seniors run out like little kids to place objects to shoot at. Clean up after yourself and respect everyone and there won't be a problem. Sorry no full automatic that I have witnessed.
The area is not that big, 30 x 50 yards with about 14 tables close together. Seemed mainly a family kinda thing, little kids, teenagers, adults, seniors. I can't wait till the last saturday of every month to do this. Might not be as good as Texas but it seems not as bad as other places.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#42]
gees crapy, In PA we have a limit of 3 in any kind of rifle, and 6 in any handgun. i brought this same thread up about 1 year ago and everyone told me it was a good thing, that it needs to be regulated but i stil belive in common sence.....just my 2 pennys worth
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#43]
No limits at the range I joined... rapid fire... full auto... 50 bmg... shoot in a safe manner, clean up when you're done...  just make sure ALL rounds impact the berms.

This is in Sc.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 1:13:36 AM EDT
[#44]
5 rounds??? [LOL]

Sorry, I didn't even know such rules existed.  I use a government provided and maintained shooting range with no fees, rules, or rangemaster.  A little wild west sometimes, but anything goes there, including full auto,.50 cal, and Tannerite explosives.  Safety and common courtesy is generally maintained.  Violations draw verbal corrections from shooting neighbors.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 1:36:30 AM EDT
[#45]
When I build and open my own range the rule will 30 rounds minimum. If you do not have 30 rounds loaded in the gun you can shoot there. And the only way I will allow AK's on my range is if you bump fire them. None of that sissy bolt or lever action stuff.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:51:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Me anti-gun??? I was a member of the NRA (1962)when you weren't even a thought.  I contribute to the NRA - do you?  Put your money where your mouth is.  
I speak out effectively for the 2nd Amendment whenever the opportunity presents itself. I've whipped hell (verbally) out of some bigtime anti-gunners in discussions, to the point they won't even raise the subject around me. I don't happen to like fools who haven't a clue what gun safety is, that's all.  You have to understand that range safety is something that works to our advantage, if enforced, and I've seen too many fools with 30-shot magazines who have no concept of it.  They reflect badly on the rest of us - something we DON'T need.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:53:32 AM EDT
[#47]
RANGE NAZI's SUCK!!!! We have them too. [nuts]
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:08:12 AM EDT
[#48]
No full auto at one range here.
No rules on any other (except saftey).
Just be safe and anything goes, pretty much.
Isn't TN great.
Scott
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:01:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Tashonka1
I hear you on the safty issue.  But because of the 3rd thing safe people cant enjoy there guns to the full extent.  I think the three rd thing is taking safty to far.  Just ask the unsafe persons with 30rd'ers to shape up or there out.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:01:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Like HEDHNTR, I live in the Lancaster, PA area (Columbia) and have hit the 6 round limit at two clubs I belong to. They also have a rule on No Human Silhouette targets.

I generally ignore the 6 round limit if I am testing for reliability. I fake it by shooting 6 rounds and stop long enough to have reloaded between. For the most part, this is a densely populated area and if you can’t keep it in the backstop, there is the potential for an accident. Some ranges here actually have a backstops with sides and a roof, like shooting into a cave. Even with that, the Township commissioners attempt to close that range about every other year by some other restriction they come up with. You need about 2 square miles of uninhabited safety zone which is beyond the financial ability of clubs in this area. You have a Right to Bear Arms, but you have NO right to endanger others when you are exercising it.

I have presented arguments to target rule to no avail. These clubs are formed by hunters and in my opinion they are an arrogant self serving lot.

They “believe in the 2nd Amendment” but would sell any AR owner down the river in a heartbeat as long as you don’t mess with their quail quota!

Privately they tell me, no man has a “need to own a automatic (sic) weapon”. Semi’s are not legal for hunting in PA except for a 3 round shotgun. So if it doesn’t fit into their needs, nobody else should have one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top