Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2003 10:52:12 AM EDT
I just got this put together, she works well. I sighted the back ups and zeroed the scope. I didn't take any "match ammo" I just used 193 and PMC ball, they were giving me 1" groups at 100 of the bench.
All the extra's thanks to Grant Timberlake of G&R Tactical Outfitters. If you are looking for the PRI flip up's, he has a stack of them in!

Everything is stock Colt Match Target, no trigger work, stock barrel for now. Take a look at the close up, what's different with the lower?

Mark

Link Posted: 9/28/2003 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!! the difference is obvious small pins!!! yea Im raising cash for my SPR I have the bug like everyone else. perhaps its the fact that is what the seals were carring in Afganistan except they were using the knights suppresor.
             FREE
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice looking rifle!

How difficult was the PRI FF tube and front sight to install?(It's the Gen 3, correct?)  Any problems?  I'm thinking about doing the same thing on a midlength Armalite.

I can't tell the difference between your lower and a stripped Eagle.  My SP1 is a little different, but that doesn't count.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the compliments! Well, for me the hardest part on the install was buying it all! I took it by my buddy's house and he did it for me. He also drilled the lower for the push pin, that's much easier to work with. Now, I can switch uppers if I wish(quicker)
I got the four set screw version front so there was no drilling. The drift pin holes matched right up as intended. It worked from the first shot, no burps at all!
The rail on the tube was loosened slightly to allow the SPR rail to be fitted on then everything was tightened up. PRI doesn't tighten the top rail knowing that this has to be done at install time. I checked the others, they were tightened up snug from the factory.

I was pleased with the color match too. The only thing that off is the Leupold scope, no big deal. The scope is the VarX III Tactical 3.5-10x40 duplex. One day I might upgrade the scope and barrel. I may just have mil-dots installed.

I ordered mine with the extra side rail and full bottom. The KAC's push button sling loop is on the right side now. I added a sling adapter on the rear to allow right side sling attachment. This allows me to carry it over the shoulder or "cross sling" it for whatever reason. I wanted to keep the sling thing simple, I don't need anything else whiz bang cqb on it.

Mark
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks damn good to me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Lumpy! I should have some extra time in the next couple weeks to get back to the range with some better ammo to see what it can do.

I had the parts in for a week before it was put together. The hurricane held me up a bit, I wish mama would let me spend the ot on toys!

Mark
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing "po man" about that.  I don't think I've ever seen a po man Colt; let alone tricked out with the Gucci PRI gear.  Sweet weapon!
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Mark, very nice rifle, but I hate you for making me like the rail.  I too am knee deep in an SPR project.  I'm using Bushmaster receivers, PRI Gen III FF tube, and RRA NM trigger group.  I decided that I could live without the flip-up sights and the ARMS rail, and used the money to send the upper to G&A Precision for the installation of a Rock Creek 5R barrel(chambered for the 77grn SMK's), and a Badger Ordnance Speed Block.  Without the rail, I mounted my Leupold 4.5-14x50 LRT M1 scope in a 30mm Armalite scope mount and called it a day.

But now you've got me liking that rail.[:D]
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to fing scream! This site lost my reply, again!

Thanks! I decided to get the rail, intially no, then knew I would regret it. I like it on there.
It sounds like your set up will be a nice one! You can always add the rail later, then it won't look right without the #40 and the PRI front. I'm not familiar with the speed block, does that have a top rail? How well will that barrel shoot other loads? I have to see how the stockbarrel does,then decide what I will do.

I plan to do two other uppers once I get some other doo dads. One light weight and one an 18" version.

Mark
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Very nice, nothing "poor" about it. I'm still working on my SPR project. My lower has been   sent off for a rebuild and I still need to get with Grant about a scope.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Very nice, nothing "poor" about it. I'm still working on my SPR project. My lower has been   sent off for a rebuild and I still need to get with Grant about a scope.
View Quote

I second that opinion......nothing "po" about it. That is one nice kickass, mean looking rifle!!!! If you come down with a terminal disease please leave it to me! Now I have to buy yet another AR to do one like it......Stop it!!!!!! There is no local AR15 12 step program for me to attend so just quit!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#11]
If I could learn how to post a pic, I could show you a real poor man's SPR, another all Colt, but no PRI forend.

That sir is one kickass rifle.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks great - all business.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Isn't it hard to aim while bouncing on a trampoline?

That's a nice looking set up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Thats a Purdy one Mark.
When ya gonna paint it? [:)]
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#15]
just curious how much does that scope cost? also is it a M3? or something damn close I almost have enough cash for my upper going to use my acog till I have the money for my scope as the M3 is $835. I need to find something identical with mil dot cost less$$ any suggestions??
   Thanks FREE
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey everyone, I'm not ignoring anyone, I'm only able to sign on from one site now for some reason. Different email address's?

Hey Slacker, how are things down there? I don't know about painting this one. If I do, maybe I'll send it to Norrel's.

Freefalleg, The scope is a Leupold VXIII Tactical 3.5-10x40 with the duplex reticle. The mil-dot ones are more expensive. You can always have the reticle changed. Check the EE, I see these in there for 400 or so, new retail is approx 500-550. I horse trade alot, so I picked this up new for 200 cash plus some goodies.

Rabbit9, I thought about the rail then decided that I would regret not getting it. Hey, how well will that Rock Creek barrel shoot standard loads like 55gr ball. Just curious, I intend to feed it better. I'm not familiar with that speed block, does it have a 1913 railed top? If you don't mind me asking, what's the price on those barrels?

Thanks for the comments!

Mark
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#17]
That is one sweet weapon.

I want to build one, eventually.

Right now I need an ACOG for my M-4 and optics for my AR-10.

Why are all of my 'hobbies' so damn expensive?

Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Slash, I know, it's like you never reach the end with the weapon projects! There's always a better scope, barrel, new gadget.

That's all part of the hobby!

Mark
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks I foung one on the EE he wants $650 its the mil dot version so from what your telling me this is to high a price for it??
      FREE

Quoted:
Hey everyone, I'm not ignoring anyone, I'm only able to sign on from one site now for some reason. Different email address's?

Hey Slacker, how are things down there? I don't know about painting this one. If I do, maybe I'll send it to Norrel's.

Freefalleg, The scope is a Leupold VXIII Tactical 3.5-10x40 with the duplex reticle. The mil-dot ones are more expensive. You can always have the reticle changed. Check the EE, I see these in there for 400 or so, new retail is approx 500-550. I horse trade alot, so I picked this up new for 200 cash plus some goodies.

Rabbit9, I thought about the rail then decided that I would regret not getting it. Hey, how well will that Rock Creek barrel shoot standard loads like 55gr ball. Just curious, I intend to feed it better. I'm not familiar with that speed block, does it have a 1913 railed top? If you don't mind me asking, what's the price on those barrels?

Thanks for the comments!

Mark
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#20]
For a VXIII Tactical, yes! I think even Cabela's has the 4.4-14 mil-dot VXIII for less than that! That must be an M1 or M3.
Check snipercountry.com or snipershide.com usually the same adds will be on there, snipershide requires you be registered, you can email the posters from snipercounrtry

I got mine from someone that purchased a rem 700 package from Remington. That includes the VXIII and he wanted to upgrade to the M1, so I got mine pretty cheap. Alot of people do upgrades, especially the bolt gunners.

Iknow I saw a VXIII on the EE for 400, new or like new, check the older adds. I'll see and post it if I find it.

fron snipercountry.com
http://www.snipercountry.com/forsale/Display_Message.asp?Message=0000008555.txt

Mark
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks for the comments!

Mark
View Quote

Yeah Mark, I'm already planning for the rail and flip-up sights.  My original plan was to just build another very accurate AR.  I sold my Colt CR6724 back around the first of the year, and have regretted it ever since.  My shooting partner has a first generation SPR (Dave @ PRI sold him the parts off his own rifle, milled ARMS rail and all, because the rest of the run was in the desert.[:D]).  I didn't want to be a copy-cat, but those rifles are just too cool.  George Gardner @ G&A Precision barreled my buddies gun with an 18" SPR profile Schnieder barrel chambered for the 77 grn SMK, and it still shoots .5moa @ 500yrds with the 55grn NBT's.  I hope my gun will shoot as well.  George gets $550 to rebarrel.  The Badger Ordnance Speed-Block is their target grade gas block and has no built in rail.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Russel, That sounds good, I'll have to keep that in mind when I get the extra money to fiddle with another upper. It sounds reasonable based on what your getting. I guess those barrels are the standard profile? I really like the PRI sights. PRI states that they use the Mike Rock barrels on their uppers, I've never priced one out though. Since Grant Timberlake is a dealer for them, it gives me another thing to buy from him.

Mark
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top