Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2003 4:02:46 PM EDT
i have a LMT upper dougles ss barrel with fitted bolt but no carrier. I dont want to pay $200 for a LMT carrier so which of the two would be better for the set up i have
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like you're building a precision rifle.  I think I'd split the difference (money wise) and buy one of Les Baer's NM bolt carriers.  They're a little heavier, which is a plus if your shooting the heavier rounds.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:31:56 AM EDT
[#2]
To answer the original question, I'd look for a GI surp Colt M16 carrier. They'd be about as heavy as you'd need, and significantly less expensive then a new piece by either Colt or Bushie.

If you just have to have a brand new piece, I guess the Bushie, simply because Colt parts are so damned expensive.  Either way, get an M16 unit, since it'll have the most metal, and the most weight.

Since there is some question about whether an M16 unit will get you problems w/the ATF; if that concerns you grind a notch in the underside of the carrier, where the auto sear would hit, about 1/8 inch deep.  That'll still give you 99 1/2% of the original weight[:D]
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the info but in ee theirs a guy selling a colt new carrier for $75 shipped should i buy it or pay double for les baer or LMT. Or if i do get the m-16 carrier is it simple enough that i can grind it myself without messing it up
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Can't comment on the $75 job, since i don't know if it's a full circle AR15 piece, a totally cutaway unit, or even a full M16 number. If it's the first or the last, $75 is worth investing.

If you've got a Dremel tool, or the equivelent, it's about a 5-10 minute job to cut the notch in the carrier.  If you're not handy w/tools, tho, it might be a good idea to have a gunsmith do the job.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#5]
still can't decide on a carrier i'm now thinking of spending the money on a LMT is it worth it if not i'm also looking at cdnn they got a colt M-16 bolt and carrier for $119 i guess i could always use a extra bolt please help me choose wise thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I run a Bushmaster M16 carrier.  I bought it before the LMT came out.  If I had t to do over I might get the LMT but KAC is coming out with a new bolt and carrier too.  In the end I would follow the advise given and get a milspec M16 carrier and just wait for the battle between KAC and LMT to ensue so we can see which is better.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top