Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2003 10:29:11 PM EDT
I am really wanting to get an XM15-E2S 16" M4 A3 Carbine and a guy at the range told me that the compensator on the end can be dangerous...is there any truth to this at all? I search on the board and couldn't find any threads that said it was dangerous...just very loud. I can handle a weapon being loud, but not dangerous...

Besides being loud, are there any other disadvantages of the XM15-E2S 16" M4 A3?

Thanks in advance -

Newb.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#1]
lol @ "cant handle a weapon being dangerous"....classic
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  The compensator can be dangerous...

Especially if you put your mouth over the end and pull the trigger.  Somehow, a high-speed piece of lead and gilded copper comes flying out at 3200fps.  

According to HCI, this usually only happens when innocent women and children are standing in front of that evil compensator.  But it can also happen when you decide to use it as a straw.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#3]
So I guess this means it isnt dangerous then?:)

I dont see WHY it would be...

And now I have gone and made myself look like an ass on my FIRST post...damn the world.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Especially if you put your mouth over the end and pull the trigger.  Somehow, a high-speed piece of lead and gilded copper comes flying out at 3200fps.  

According to HCI, this usually only happens when innocent women and children are standing in front of that evil compensator.  But it can also happen when you decide to use it as a straw.
View Quote

LOL.  One funny post.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#5]
There have been a few posts of that compensator being blown off of the end of the barrel after firing several rounds.  I have one on a 20" rifle and haven't had any problems.  It is loud for bystanders.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#6]
The brake makes it MUCH louder.  Factor that in beofre you buy.  Most people that I have heard state that being louder won't matter end up regretting getting the brake.

If you gotta have something on the end of the barrel (it's OK, I've been there) look into some of the fake flash suppressors.

Hehe.... barrel as a straw....  That's great [:D]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There have been a few posts of that compensator being blown off of the end of the barrel after firing several rounds.  I have one on a 20" rifle and haven't had any problems.  It is loud for bystanders.
View Quote

Yes, there have been a couple of threads about compensators coming off, however I don't recall any being from a Bushmaster assembled Rifle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 6:03:22 AM EDT
[#8]
How can a pinned and welded brake come off?
The noise is no problem, My 16" carbine has a brake, and I wear ear protection, but I had it put on when I ordered the barrel..Just for looks realy at the time as we cant yet have A2 flash hiders legaly yet on a post ban.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 6:06:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

[ROFL2][ROFL2][ROFL2][ROFL2]
[ROFL][ROFL][ROFL][ROFL]
[LOL][LOL][LOL][LOL]

Holy crap, I am in tears over here...

After a few thousand rounds through my 14.5" mini-y equipped M4, I can tell you that that is a load of horsesh*t!
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#10]
unless you want it for looks or need it for correct barrel length leave it off.

Not as a safety issue but because it is not needed. I have a bushy carbine with no break and an armalite hbar with a break.

Other than noise they shoot the same.

mike
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 6:28:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!  or anywhere by that matter...
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#12]
It may be dangerous to your health if you shoot it without hearing protection...But then again, all guns are that way.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Kaxter,
Number one, you haven't messed up your first post. If someone tells you something and you don't know if it could be true or not, you ask. Period.

I have a Bushmaster XM15-E2S with that type of compensator on it. The ONLY thing that I don't like about it is when you shoot it, you get some blow back from it because of the way that the ports are angled. It's not a big deal, to me anyways, but it may be something to consider when you get ready to purchase one. Good luch and welcome to the forum. You will like it. A lot of information on here.
[snoopy]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn Straight their dangerous!
That is, to whatever or whomever you are directing the projectile towards.[:D]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 10:27:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the same brake on my Bushy. B-r-a-k-e.
The mini y comp brake is very effective at significantly reducing muzzle flip. It does however send a soundwave towards your face when fired. I have become accustomed to it and it no longer goes noticed. The brake itself does magnify sound, but mostly to others on the firing line. If you don't like it, you can always send the upper off to Kurt's Kustom, for one of his sweet fake flash suppressors. Welcome to the board and never hesitate to ask questions here. Nobody knows everything!
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I love my Mini-Y Comp. VERY EFFECTIVE Brake.
I don't think their has been a recorded case of a Welded Y-comp flying off. The AK brake yes, Not the Y-Comp.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#17]
The problem has been with Brakes on Post ban barrels, where they slip the brake on and pin it.  Brakes on pre ban barrels (threaded then pinned) haven't been reported that I know of.  Also when I say "pre ban barrels" I'm refering to barrels with threaded muzzles that have then been "neutered" by taking off the bayo lug, as well as barrels left in pre ban configuration (still have the Bayo Lug).
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Oops:
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=19372&iGalleryUnq=574&iImageUnq=14268[/img]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#19]
The mini-y comp works, and stays on...but it is WAY TOO LOUD! SO i took mine off my Bushmaster M-4 and replaced it with a Smith, which I really like and it puts the sound more out in front of you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#20]
lol..why is it that all these stories start out the same, "A GUY AT THE RANGE TOLD ME......" geez, this is the exact reason i stay to my self at the ranges, i have over heard some of the funniest shit over the years. oh well.

Link Posted: 9/27/2003 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not as a safety issue but because it is not needed. I have a bushy carbine with no break and an armalite hbar with a break.

mike
View Quote

Why is it that people insist on call a muzzle brake a muzzle "break"? It BRAKES the recoil, it doesn't "break" anything (hopefully).

I have seen it used incorrectly on dealers websites, in posts, emails, it's EVERYWHERE and it's WRONG! Nothing personal but it's DRIVING ME MAD.

You wouldn't say: "I need to get my cars BREAKS fixed" or "I had to BREAK for a stop sign." AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 3:52:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

mike
View Quote

Why is it that people insist on call a muzzle brake a muzzle "break"? It BRAKES the recoil, it doesn't "break" anything (hopefully).

I have seen it used incorrectly on dealers websites, in posts, emails, it's EVERYWHERE and it's WRONG! Nothing personal but it's DRIVING ME MAD.

You wouldn't say: "I need to get my cars BREAKS fixed" or "I had to BREAK for a stop sign." AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
View Quote

Oh give the guy a brake. [;)]
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 7:43:08 AM EDT
[#23]
That was funny as hell.  I needed a good laugh this morning, ill try and remember not to use mine if i get thirsty.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#24]
IT IS VERY DANGEROUS!! DO NOT SHOOT IT.
Please for the safety of the children instant message me and i will give you my address so you can send me the rifle. I will properly dispose of it. no charge to you of course, no thank you needed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The problem has been with Brakes on Post ban barrels, where they slip the brake on and pin it.  Brakes on pre ban barrels (threaded then pinned) haven't been reported that I know of.  Also when I say "pre ban barrels" I'm refering to barrels with threaded muzzles that have then been "neutered" by taking off the bayo lug, as well as barrels left in pre ban configuration (still have the Bayo Lug).
View Quote

My understanding was that all Bushy barrels are threaded and that the brake is screwed on and then welded in the case of their post-ban uppers.  If thats correct, then there should be no risk of the brake flying off.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top