Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2003 12:58:27 PM EDT
I was wondering what everyone shoots?  I got tired of paper at a young age and have since spent a fair amount of time picking various thinks to put holes in.

For my .22 cal weapons I favor the spining metal target stands, Dr. Thunder soda cans ($3 for 48 at your local walmart), a 5 pound bag of flour and a 6'x8' piece of corrugated metal I picked up at the dump.  

The spinning metal stands are self explanetory.  The soda cans explode when you hit them and they are a resonably small target.  Great for setting up 100 yard shots with a .22lr or practicing cqb stile carbine drills on multiple attackers.  The flour is just plain fun since it makes a mess but you dont have to clean it up.  And the bigass corrugated metal is great for long distance shots.  We tape target to the metal and then if you miss due to improper windage or elevation, you know where you shot and can correct for it.  This in itself has made me a better long distance shooter.

For my .30 cal weapons we use a 5 gallon bucket filled with cement.  The bucket will jump when hit and usually sends a blast of cement into the air.  Once the middle is erroded out we tape up the holes and fill it with flour for the same effect as the bag of flour mentioned before.  Cinderblocks are also fun to destroy, but you dont get much milage out of them.  I have 4 6" pieces of pig iron that are 1" thick.  I hang them from a kids swingset sized frame work by 2 pieces of clothes line.  The clothes line goes to the support in a V shape. Theyre all at different heights and I put the stand at about a 22* angle from the shooters so after you hit one of them the target begins swinging side to side and is harder to follow up.

For my .50 we shoot propane tanks, cinderblocks, tires, cracked 4cyl blocks and just about anything else we want to see explode.

Tannerite is fun but too damn expensive.

What's everyone else use?
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#1]
CoC forbids me to answer that question. LOL
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Iraqis, afghanis, intruders and midnight goblins dont count.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]
MZBs count
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#4]
i shoot cinderblocks, coke cans (shaken up). ive been trying to shoot a squirel with my bushmaster but i havent seen one in our yard yet.

ill have to try the flour.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Frozen milk jugs, Water filled milk jugs and their evil cousins: Protein Jugs filled with water.

Oh yeah, a DSS satellite receiver dish. Put that badboy out at 300m.

Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#6]
bowling pins.....you can get used ones free at most bowling alleys

Edited to add: you can reuse them over and over and over and over again...They also represent the vitals of a human being, so no more need for those expensive silhouette  targets.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

...For my .50 we shoot propane tanks...
View Quote

FULL ones??? [shock]

POST: PICS!!! VIDEOS!!! POLICE/HOSTPITAL REPORTS!!! ANYTHING!!!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Not too exciting but I like to shoot balloons. It's a good reactive target.

I've also heard that when selecting soda cans to shoot to buy diet soda because it isn't sticky when you clean it up.

Edited to add:

If my wife gets anymore garden gnomes, I gonna start shooting them (that's what a threaten her with anyway) [:D]
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Ridge
 9/25/2003 5:46:04 PM

View Quote

LOL, on the history channel or discovery, they had something on some snipers from the police, and they were so poor that they tied Ballons to an electric R/C 4 X 4 truck and had the boys shoot at a moving target, lol. it was the epitamie of CHEESY. lol
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ridge
 9/25/2003 5:46:04 PM

View Quote

LOL, on the history channel or discovery, they had something on some snipers from the police, and they were so poor that they tied Ballons to an electric R/C 4 X 4 truck and had the boys shoot at a moving target, lol. it was the epitamie of CHEESY. lol
View Quote

Maybe cheesy but damn inventive and sounds like fun for the shooter and the bystander driving the thing!  I may have to take my RC 4x4 out this weekend and see what we can do...
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

...For my .50 we shoot propane tanks...
View Quote

FULL ones??? [shock]

POST: PICS!!! VIDEOS!!! POLICE/HOSTPITAL REPORTS!!! ANYTHING!!!!
View Quote

Even though they are full they dont blow up.  Ive tried api and apit rounds and couldnt get one to light.  Next time I go I'm taking a road flare to put behind it to get the proper "plume"

Heres the entry.

[img]http://www.detonate.net/modules/Screenshots/gallery/mugs/speedholes.JPG[/img]

Heres the exit.

[img]http://www.detonate.net/modules/Screenshots/gallery/mugs/speedholes2.JPG[/img]

Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#12]
[s]Stray cats[/s]

Ummm, I meant tin cans. [;D]
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#13]
lhd you go to get a pic if you get that thing to blow!
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to shoot clothespins with my Nylon 66.

For a while the only place I could shoot was at an indoor range. And the last two targets were the two clothespins holding my target onto the frame.

One of these days I have Got to stop in a grocery store and buy a bag of spring powered, wooden clothespins.  It would be nice to see if I can still hit them with a Centerfire rifle.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
... they were so poor that they tied Ballons to an electric R/C 4 X 4 truck and had the boys shoot at a moving target...
View Quote

That beats mounting your target in the middle of an old tire and rolling it down a hill!!  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:54:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
lhd you go to get a pic if you get that thing to blow!
View Quote

We're going down this weekend with a flare and a video camara.  Last time we taped 2 and a half gallons of tannerite in a half sized fridge.  I shot right through the door and the tannerite blew the bastard into about 8 pieces.  It blew the door about 300 feet.  The video was less than satisfactory since Nate got startled by the explosion and forgot he had the camara so you see me shoot and then you see his shoes for about 40 seconds.  It was cool because you hear the explosion and then about 4 seconds later you hear all the pieces hitting the ground.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Try those thick railroad plates they use to mount rails on , if there are tracks nearby, they leave extras laying all over the place. Shoot em near dark and sparks fly. Pretty fun, and you can hit em hundreds of times. Plus.. theyre free!!  John
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 11:16:53 AM EDT
[#19]
I just scored some laptops for targets this weekend.  This is going to be fun.

And if you want to see some sparks, shoot an old blacksmith anvil with a big ass .50 bmg APIT at about 500 yards.  

Its incredible to watch the round go down range, then flash as it hits the anvil.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#20]
DEER, red house bricks, tin cans, disc blades (10" wide circle, 1/8" thin, tie them to a stake and shoot em'. If you know a large farmer, you can get em for free.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top