Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2003 4:15:31 PM EDT
I talked to Bushmaster about putting flash hidders on the end of the barrel and they said that flash hidders have been banned by the government why is that? And how come Colt still sells AR-15's with flash hidders on the muzzels?
And does anybody know if the flash hidders I bought will work on Bushmaster AR-15's?
"If you can't treat this like a normal assingment 007... Then 008 will replace you". 008
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Go read the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.  It ends in less than a year.  Post ban rifles have no collapsing stocks, no flash hider or threads for flash hiders, no grenade launchers and no bayonet lugs.  Where have you been that you dont know about the Assault Weapons Ban of 94?  You know they regualted machineguns and silencers too right?

You can still have any of these things you just have to buy a weapon that predates the ban.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
... how come Colt still sells AR-15's with flash hidders on the muzzels? ...
View Quote

You might be looking at a LEO-only AR with a flash hider.

Alternatively, you might be looking at a muzzlebrake, not a flash hider.  From a distance they look quite similar.  Muzzlebrakes are legal on post-ban AR’s (with some restrictions).

Actually, in theory at least, it is possible to put a flash hider on a post-ban.  But you then have to make some other compromises that most folks find unacceptable.

The federal law that mandates all this sunsets in a little less than a year.  Unless it’s renewed before that, this will be a non-issue, at least on the federal level.

Your best bet may be just to wait and see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 5:42:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Go read the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.  It ends in less than a year.  Post ban rifles have no collapsing stocks, no flash hider or threads for flash hiders, no grenade launchers and no bayonet lugs.  Where have you been that you dont know about the Assault Weapons Ban of 94?  You know they regualted machineguns and silencers too right?

You can still have any of these things you just have to buy a weapon that predates the ban.
View Quote
I know about the ban but I was just wondering about the flash hidder thing thats all.
"If you can't treat this like a normal assingment 007... Then 008 will replace you." 008
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are still wondering about the FS then you don't know the ban well enough.  Read more 008.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Just like 199 said it might be a muzzle brake, as there are some outfits that manuf. these that look ALMOST identical. Main difference is the diameter (some are 1/32" bigger around) so as to elininate mounting an M203, and all have a blast disc (smaller muzzle opening). Otherwise they are very similar but are perm. installed..Check out Kurts Kustom Firearms..   John
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Not larger to disallow the M203 but larger to not accept rifle grenades (thus make it not a grenade launcher which is prohibited)  The rifle grenades took like little bombs and slide on the muzzle if your rifle.  I am sure you have seen an example before.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Guys, 008 is refering to flash hidders which are not mentioned in the AWB.

You must have confused it with flash hiders!

Carry on.

Sorry 008, I couldn't resist the spelling nazi joke.[beer][:D]
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#8]
At least noone has said "muzzle break" yet...
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#9]
It's all about the [b]number[/b] of [i]evil[/i] features you're "allowed" to have...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sec. 921. - Definitions

(a)
As used in this chapter -

(30)
The term ''semiautomatic assault weapon'' means -

(B)
a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -

(i)
a folding or telescoping stock;

(ii)
a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii)
a bayonet mount;

(iv)
a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v)
a grenade launcher;
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top