Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2003 3:22:30 PM EDT
I was just looking through Browells web site and on the page for the online store there is an ad for some high capacity AR-15 Mags. here http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/StoreHome.aspx
In thier description, they talk about how these are for your pre-ban AR-15. Now, I am not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV, but always thought you could use pre-ban mags in post ban rifles, right? What do you think?
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes you can.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Pre-Ban mags in Post-Ban rifles is a GO!

MM419
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]
...and as much as they look like it, they aren't USGI mags.  Stick toUSGI Mags, not aftermarket mags like these.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to this site and read up.  It will save you a lot of wasted money and headaches.

http://magfaq.tripod.com/
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[url]http://magfaq.tripod.com/[/url]
View Quote

yes, you can use any mag in your post-ban rifle [i]except[/i] mags marked for LEO use only
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#6]
[b]A word on mail order prebans[/b]

Lots of places have 30 & 40 round magazines for sale. Are they legal? absolutely. Somany magazines were made for the AR/M16 system that there are plenty to go around.

However...

9 times out of 10 these magazines are complete pieces of shit. They look just like the USGI magazines but these aftermarkets seem to be made of tinfoil & you will be sorely disappointed once you get them. The dead giveaway that they are USGI is that they cost too much. Every now & then you'll find a vendor who got a deal & is passingf on the savings, but rarely. For a good deal on USGIs I suggest you [red]READ TROY's MAGAZINE FAQ[/red] in the magazine section, then scour the ads on the EE (equipment exchange) board or your local gunshow.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#8]
A friend of mine in the Army gave me a Center Industries mag:

http://magfaq.tripod.com/mags1.htm#2t

The date stamped in the side is 05 / 92.  Is this pre-ban mag one I can legally use?

thanks
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#9]
5/92 is GTG. Have fun.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#10]
thanks pulp!
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#11]
T:
they'd tell you that "well, they FIT in Colt AR15s!"  
View Quote

Well, they [b][u]do[/b][/u] fit! [:D]
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I listened to a young salesman in the local gun shop explain to a customer, looking at one of the "Plinkers" on sale, that if he wanted to use those high cap mags, he needed to buy the preban rifle they had.  After the sales pitch was done, I very quietly let the customer know that is wasn't true.  Unfortunately, I think he didn't know who to believe.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#13]
-Absolut-:
yes, you can use any mag in your post-ban rifle [i]except[/i] mags marked for LEO use only
View Quote

Wana by 200 brand spankin' new Centers sealed in wrappers for eleven bucks each (they're not marked "LEO")? [;)]
[i]j/k[/i]
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I was watching a gun show "salesman" show a potential customer how to work a 1911 safety. The customer was apparently concerned about it. The salesman was working the safety with his thumb up and down with the thumb never leaving the safety. He then put his finger on the trigger and sighted in. I mentioned that the customer might want to move his thumb before firing the weapon. I got the smart ass "I'm an ex-LEO, know everything, done everything" schpiel from the salesman so quick it wasn't funny.

1911 + thumb on safety + finger on trigger =

well, you know.

Never interrupt a gun show "salesman" in action. :-)
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I got the smart ass "I'm an ex-LEO, know everything, done everything" schpiel from the salesman so quick it wasn't funny.
View Quote

Thats probably why he was [red]EX[/red] LEO.[:D]

Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Not to highjack this thread... but I have a newbie question, I went to my first gunshow last weekend (Valley Forge) and it seemed like EVERYBODY was ignoring the 4 rules, fingers in trigger guards, muzzles pointed every which way (often at my child's head, his head is just about table high...) and I was wondering, is this normal at the shows?  Do most of the people just assume that nothing is loaded at a show?

I handled several AR's and several handguns and resisited the temptation to put my trigger inside the triggerguard. (had one vendor compliment my kids because they wouldn't either)

And while I'm at it, one vendor told me the ATF told him no one under 21 is allowed to HOLD a handgun.  Is this normal or just some rule that particular ATF agent to decided to hassle a vendor with?  If my kid can hold a handgun at the range with me standing next to him, why can't he at a gun show?  I searched the ATF site and couldn't find this rule anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#17]
gullyfoyle:
Not to highjack this thread... but I have a newbie question, I went to my first gunshow last weekend (Valley Forge) and it seemed like EVERYBODY was ignoring the 4 rules, fingers in trigger guards, muzzles pointed every which way (often at my child's head, his head is just about table high...) and I was wondering, is this normal at the shows?  Do most of the people just assume that nothing is loaded at a show?
View Quote

Yes. [:(!]
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I emailed Brownells to point out the error in the ad and they replied that I was correct and they would change the wording in it.
As for unsafe gun handling at gunshows, I have on 2 occasions heard negligent discharges. No one hurt as far as I know, but scares the bejeepers out of you. This was over a 20 or so year span opf going to a lot of gun shows, but still it should be something never to have experienced.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Heard of 2? Hell I witnessed 2 in less than a year's time!!! One was a .308 & one was a 12 gauge... Fortunately both were pointed "ceiling-ward". Regardless, unfuckingcool [cuss]
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I have noticed the same thing at gun shows... As a matter of fact, I have noticed it with alot of folks who handle firearms on a very regular basis.  (Myself included!)  I think it comes from pure complacancy.  If it is on your hip 8 or 10 hrs a day, you kind of stop thinking about it.  As experinced shooters, who often will be looked upon as role models by anyone less experinced... we must ALWAYS strive to keep the simple safety rules in mind!  The example we set is watched by everyone... Non shooters too... Keep that in mind and BE SAFE!
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:24:20 PM EDT
[#21]
1911 + thumb on safety + finger on trigger =

well, you know.

Never interrupt a gun show "salesman" in action. :-)
View Quote

i'm not a 1911 guy, but don't most 1911 shooters "ride" the safety with their thumb?  i'm pretty sure their is plenty of clearance from your thumb and the movement of the slide.
please correct me if i'm wrong....i'm all about the Glock 19
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top