Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2003 5:09:37 PM EDT
I'm about to plunk down a load of hard earned cash on one or the other.  I'm looking for some opinions or feedback on a choice between the Colt 6724 and the Bushy "Varminter".  Both are 24" Flat Top models with free floating barrels.  The Colt is equipped with a stainless barrel where the Bushy has a fluted chromoly tube.  I have not had the pleasure of shooting either rifle but have read accounts of both being quite accurate right out of the box.  

Without price as a concern which rifle would you hard core "Black Rifle" guys choose?

Thanks, mxkop      
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 6724.  fuctions flawlessly.  3 shots, handloads 69 gr sierra hp 200 yards the size of nickel. Love it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 6724 with a B&L 4-16x50mm eyepiece.

It functions great, never a FTF or FTE.

The accuracy is OK, nothing to brag about. I never reload for it but, I would still expect better accuracy with factory loads.

I hate fluting, especially on a target rig and  a "precision" barrel. That would shy me away from the Bushy Varminter.

Why not the [b]Varminter Special[/b]??? Both the Bushy SS Varminter Special and the CR6724 come equipped with 1in9 twist rate bbls.

Personally, If I could do it over gain I would get the SS bull-barrel target DPMS rig.
[url]http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=RFA2-24SP[/url]
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The Varminter is extremely lightweight for a 24" varmint gun.  This may be a plus or a minus, depending on your preference.  Its so light that its surprising.  Its also very well balanced, not so front-heavy.

I'm sure both will perform very well for you.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I handled a 6724 today for the first time and I was a little dissapointed.  It's just a matter of personal preference and of course tough to judge without a scope or bipod but In my hands the Bushmaster felt better.  It was lighter and better balanced. I preferred the floating forearm and the trigger on the Bushy.  I Like the Stainless barrel on the Colt and of course ...well it's Colt.  I really wish I had the benefit of shooting each of them before laying down the CASH.

Decisions, Decisions!

Mike D
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top