Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2003 10:02:09 AM EDT
hey everyone, couple questions...

i thought i was straight-up on my understanding of the laws and whatnot, but i was talking with a guy earlier who told me i'm completely wrong. i was looking for someone to straighten me out, or vindicate me.

i understand all the pre-post ban formatting and the laws about all that. i was just wondering if, for me (average citizen, no criminal reccord), to buy a pre ban gun or lower (provided it was manufactured as so before the ban) in CT? i thought it was no big deal, but this guy is telling me he has a semi-auto Colt pre-ban AR15 and that it is illegal to transfer, deed, or sell. he said it would have to be destroyed after he died. i thought as long as i found a legit gun, i could buy it or have it transferred to my friendly local FFL and registered to me as any other gun.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#1]
You have to make sure that it is not marked Sporter or AR15.

This is tricky here in CT beacuse most of the Colt prebans are marked with either one or another of those.

I would call the Firearms unit at Public Safety and they call answer your questions..but get the exact markings before you call so that they are handy.

I would aviod this by getting a bushie or other preban that is not on our list.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#2]
What he said...

Basically, you can't own a Colt Sporter or AR15 (ironic considering they were made here), but you can own any clone.  You can also own a Colt Match Target (post ban).  

Also, it's important to note that the ban never sunsets for us.  The legislature snuck in a state version of the Federal Ban in 2001, so even when the Federal Ban sunsets, we still have to buy pre-94 weapons if we want the "evil features".

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#3]
WTF,that sucks ass!I heard the governer would get rid of it somehow,any truth to that?
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:36:02 AM EDT
[#4]
ok, thanks guys... i was looking for a bushmaster or armalite anyhow, so that works out just fine. i'll call them before-hand to make sure.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:17:47 AM EDT
[#5]
were colts only marked sporter or ar15? if not, could i legally pick up one of these? just thinking since there are a million colts out there...
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#6]
To my understanding all preban are illegal in CT,

http://www.cga.state.ct.us/2003/pub/Chap943.htm#Sec53-202a.htm

read Sec53-202a through Sec53-202c

It seems that any weapon set up in preban configuration if not already registed as an AW is illegal to have or transfer

edited to add the transfere of a registered AW is illegal unless it is to a dealer out of state or willed

Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#7]
the verdict is in everyone... NO PREBANS IN CT!! i just talked to a local SGT. who deals with all this kind of stuff. there are some ways you can deed stuff, but that's it, and even that is apparently tricky. CT sucks! how is it that we've let the gun controllers sneak so much in that we can't even get a folding stock!? that's all i'm really looking for. that's like saying, "sure, you can drive in connecticut, as long as your car seat isn't adjustable!" damn i'm mad now.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Time to start looking for a free state to live in.[:(]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#9]
...spending the day looking for a new job. outside CT of course![:D]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd do a little more research.  From what I understand, pre-ban AR's are legal in CT for sale and possession in CT as long as they are not Colt or Armalite (or marked AR15 I believe.)  

Don't believe me?  Go to your local gun store where you can buy used pre-bans AR's all day - it's perfectly legal.

-John
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I was told the same at Hoffmans for what it's worth.(last week)
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#12]
As taken from the CT general Statues

Definition of AW:
Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition. (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:
(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini- AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK- 93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;
(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;
(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:
(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:
(i) A folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) A bayonet mount;
(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) A grenade launcher;

Sale of AW:
Sec. 53-202b. Sale or transfer of assault weapon prohibited. Class C felony. (a) (1) Any person who, within this state, distributes, transports or imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives any assault weapon, except as provided by sections 29-37j and 53-202a to 53-202k, inclusive, and subsection (h) of section 53a-46a, shall be guilty of a class C felony and shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of which two years may not be suspended or reduced.
(2) Any person who transfers, sells or gives any assault weapon to a person under eighteen years of age in violation of subdivision (1) of this subsection shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of six years, which shall not be suspended or reduced and shall be in addition and consecutive to the term of imprisonment imposed under subdivision (1) of this subsection.
(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to:
(1) The sale of assault weapons to the Department of Public Safety, police departments, the Department of Correction or the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States for use in the discharge of their official duties;
(2) A person who is the executor or administrator of an estate that includes an assault weapon for which a certificate of possession has been issued under section 53-202d which is disposed of as authorized by the Probate Court, if the disposition is otherwise permitted by sections 29-37j and 53-202a to 53-202k, inclusive, and subsection (h) of section 53a-46a;
(3) The transfer by bequest or intestate succession of an assault weapon for which a certificate of possession has been issued under section 53-202d.

Possesion of an AW:
Sec. 53-202c. Possession of assault weapon prohibited. Class D felony. (a) Except as provided in section 53-202e, any person who, within this state, possesses any assault weapon, except as provided in sections 29-37j, 53-202a to 53-202k, inclusive, and 53-202o and subsection (h) of section 53a-46a, shall be guilty of a class D felony and shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of which one year may not be suspended or reduced; except that a first-time violation of this subsection shall be a class A misdemeanor if (1) the person presents proof that he lawfully possessed the assault weapon prior to October 1, 1993, and (2) the person has otherwise possessed the firearm in compliance with subsection (d) of section 53-202d.
(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to the possession of assault weapons by members or employees of the Department of Public Safety, police departments, the Department of Correction or the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States for use in the discharge of their official duties; nor shall anything in sections 29-37j and 53-202a to 53-202k, inclusive, and subsection (h) of section 53a-46a prohibit the possession or use of assault weapons by sworn members of these agencies when on duty and the use is within the scope of their duties.
(c) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to the possession of an assault weapon by any person prior to July 1, 1994, if all of the following are applicable:
(1) The person is eligible under sections 29-37j and 53-202a to 53-202k, inclusive, and subsection (h) of section 53a-46a to apply for a certificate of possession for the assault weapon by July 1, 1994;
Sec. 53-202d. Certificate of possession of assault weapon. Certificate of transfer of assault weapon to gun dealer. Circumstances where possession of assault weapon authorized. (a) Any person who lawfully possesses an assault weapon, as defined in section 53-202a, prior to October 1, 1993, shall apply by October 1, 1994, (b) No assault weapon possessed pursuant to this section may be sold or transferred on or after January 1, 1994, to any person within this state other than to a licensed gun dealer, as defined in subsection (d) of section 53-202f, or as provided in section 53- 202e, or by bequest or intestate succession. Any person who obtains title to an assault weapon for which a certificate of possession has been issued under this section by bequest or intestate succession shall, within ninety days of obtaining title, apply to the Department of Public Safety for a certificate of possession as provided in subsection (a) of this section, render the weapon permanently inoperable, sell the weapon to a licensed gun dealer or remove the weapon from the state.

Read carefully and all questions concerning the issue will be answered!

Link Posted: 9/24/2003 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Do a search for the "Assault weapon list" on CT website. If a rifle is NOT on the list it IS legal. It specifies Colt AR15 or Sporter... it does not include " or type" for AR's.
Don't ask the Police, do you really think they'll be honest.
If an FFL (a reputable one) will sell you a firearm, odds are it's legal, they don't want to risk jail time or losing their license.
I've legally bought them and will continue to.
Don't stir up too much trouble, then they might change the law and truly make them all illegal.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Alan... who are you dating... Sarah Brady?
[:D][:D][:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top