Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2003 9:29:57 PM EDT
Am I the only one who uses Hoppe's #9 oil for cleaning?

I see alot of people useing CLP and Millitech, no one ever mentions hoppe's.  I've only be shooting since '96 and hoppes was the first stuff I bought, it worked so seven years later I still use the stuff for my pistols and rifles.

Am I missing out on something buy not useing clp? is hoppes bad or just not used?

any comments would be appreciated
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#1]
My opinion, But i have never liked hoppes oil. it goes on to thick and never spreads Its hard to apply.

I use SeaFoams Deep Creep aresol on a rag then i wipe down and it leaves a nice even coat and never evaporates just wipe of when ready to shoot.

Bout the only Hoppes i use is No.9 solvent for bore cleaning. and 7.62 Sweets for copper removal.

Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I use Hoppes on all my guns (and Shooter's Choice when there's some serious barrel fouling) (and Sweet's when there's some VERY serious copper fouling), but for my new AR I've stuck with CLP just because that's what the manufacturer recommends.  This may change when I get more experienced with the gun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Hoppe's makes an oil?[;D]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Hoppes Oil is meant for lubricating, the Hoppes #9 Solvent is made for cleaning, but its formula has changed over the years, and it's not very effective on copper fouling (from jacketed bullets).  If you look on the bottle, it now says "Nitro Solvent" or something to that effect, and that's what they mean - powder residue solvent.  There are better products.  I do use it myself though, cause I have gallons of the stuff I bought before they couldn't put Trichloroethane in it anymore.  I use the stuff in parts washer type applications.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I use
Hoppes #9 solvent, and CLP at home.
Shooters Choice, and IIRC FP-10 at work.

I like the Hoppes, I use the spray cans, and let it work for a while before I go in manually.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:47:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I hope you meant #9 solvent, not oil.  I've used it forever, and continue to use it.  I really clean the bore with it, and let it stay over night, or at least a few hours.  The purple or green stuff that comes out on the cloth is jacket material from shooting.  I didn't know they changed the formula, but it still seems to work ok for me.  Of course I still use CLP and Krytox, and even Lithium lube.

But I gotta add this cause it's been driving me crazy for years.  I see guys clean out their hunting rifles with Hoppes #9, and then go out it the woods and can't figure out why they don't see anything.  The stuff smells so strong that it otta drive them to the next county.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:08:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I love the Hoppes oil.  It is much more viscous than most gun oils and provides better protection against wear.  I dont use it on my semi's, just my bolt guns and my non carry pistols.  On every thing else I use CLP.

The hoppes oil is a nitro solvent only.  When cleaning I use a nylon brush and a carbon fiber or plastic rod.  Apply the solvent and let it sit over night.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I use Hoppes to clean with too.

So, no, you're not alone
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 7:52:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been cleaning my guns with Hoppe's #9 solvent for 30+ years.

Still do to this day.

Never tried their oil, though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup Hoppe's #9 solvent is all I use, since I started shooting, oh, 12 years ago.  I think that's what you mean, I'm not aware of a Hoppe's #9 oil.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Been using it for about 45 years.  I brush it on, let it sit, scrub and rinse with brake cleaner.  CLP for lube and protection afterwards.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#12]
i use # 9 solvent!
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes I use Hoppes #9 for certain applications.  I have gotten into using "Bore Scrubber" and "Gun Solvent" by ...cant remember right now its in a black white and red bottle, anyways it comes in aerosols and it makes cleaning much easier.  I spray some of it on a bore snake, run it through 4 times, lube the snake with Hoppes lube and run it back through twice.  For other mechanical parts, I hold them over a sink and spray away with the "Gun Solvent"-I'll get that name and post it because its driving me nuts I dont know it- and let the Sh!t go down the sink.  A quick pass over with a toothbrush and let it dry.  It has an agent in it that causes it to dry in a matter of seconds.  After dry, I squirt some hoppes oil into certain areas like bolt carrier and other moving parts that cant be reached.  For metal on metal moving contact, I use the Hoppes grease.  It goes on thick and I find it holds up better.  I use this on bolt carrier edges where it meets the receiver.  I use more grease on my handguns than rifles because of the slide movement.  I grease both surfaces of the slide and frame that meet.  Another tip: Hoppes grease is great for external use too.  I take a good dallup on my finger and run it all up any steel, usually blued of course, and work it in.  Then I take a soft cotton T-Shirt turned into a rag and wipe excess.  This makes the firearm look new and it helps to neutralize the acidic oils from your skin.  Furthermore it helps to provide a barrier to slow corrosion.  Every time I handle a gun, I always wipe it with that t-shirt that has the excess grease on it to wipe off any fingerprints and to oil/grease the surface.  I've never had a problem with any corrosion.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#14]
for cleaning the barrel and parts, I use RIG44....it's the best stuff I found that works great.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:30:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Hoppes does market an oil. It's pure mineral oil packaged in an Orange bottle with a white flip spout lid.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top