Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2003 5:44:44 AM EDT
I was reading the post about the XM-8. I saw that a lot of people here don`t like bullpup rifles. Now my actual shooting expirience with bullpups is limited to a Ruger 10/22 with a bullpup stock. So what I`m asking is unless you`re a left handed person (not left leaning, as they do`nt like guns at all), what`s the problem with them?

That being said it seems like everyone always wants a Steyr AUG. Is the AUG ok because, I heard somewhere that you can set it up for a right or left handed person?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:34:49 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I have read, I don't think it is a case of "we don't like this rifle because it is a bullpup".  Sounds more like they don't like this rifle because this has too many faults.  One commented (don't know if he actually fired it or not, probably not) that it was like holding a jam box with a barrel sticking out.  I think when designed properly, the bullpup has many good points, but when design is wanting, it may not be worth it.

My .02
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure why there's so much bias.  I'm saving to buy an M17S.  It's based on the AR18 action and should be far more reliable than the AR15.

I guess the abidexterity issue just isn't much of an issue for me.  If I was a lefty, I imagine I'd be more upset.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#3]
they sure are ugly.  the steyr aug has nice lines, i'd buy one if they were 1k or less.

m17 is an abortion or a rifle though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Any time you make the mechanism more complicated you subtract from the rifles reliability.  Having your FCG directly below your bolt keeps things simple.  If you have to add long linkages to actuate the hammer you have just added a weak point in the chain.  

The aug is ok but I didnt enjoy my shooting experience with it.  Not sure if it was due to the rifle I was shooting or if it was standard but the trigger was not "smooth".  Just didnt sit right with me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have any bullpup experience but I can't imagine one being ergonomically superior to a standard AR or allowing a faster mag change.Of course they do seem to be shorter overall but that wouldn't make me convert.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#7]
 To get a fun idea of what a bullpup is like in combat play the game HALO ( out for PC in a few weeks ).  When you do mag changes in the middle of a fierce CQB firefight you are slowed down considerably by the weapon.  You get slapped around by Orpies a lot during mag changes.

desert "orp orp orp" moon
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.smallarmsreview.com/april.htm[/url]

I'm sold! I'm definately getting one...I handled one, and i've never held anything with such amazing balance before. I didn't see that big of a deal with the trigger either.

Read that review before you make judgements about bullpups...here's a little excerpt to address an issue mentioned.

[i]Many shooters do not like bullpups, usually because they fear that a "catastrophic failure" - a rupture of the barrel or blowing the bolt out will injure them. With the M-17S, such an event is unlikely, and even if it were to occur, the upper receiver is a one-piece tube of extruded aircraft aluminum that is approximately 1/8 inch thick, which should contain any unlikely explosive failures. [/i]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.smallarmsreview.com/april.htm[/url]

I'm sold! I'm definately getting one...I handled one, and i've never held anything with such amazing balance before. I didn't see that big of a deal with the trigger either.

[/i]
View Quote

That rifle is, and always will be way to heavy for my tase. Like others have said, there are many positive featues, but there is always a hang up in the design.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Weights without magazine

Bushmaster XM15A2 20":     8.27 Lbs

Bushmaster XM15A2 16":     7.22 Lbs.

Bushmaster Bullpup 21.5":  8.2 Lbs.

A pound more than a regular carbine, and acctually lighter than a rifle. Even though the barrel is longer...I guess everything has it's ups and downs.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top