Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2003 4:56:52 PM EDT
I need a quality bolt/carrier, anyone know a good price.  I've seen the 110 at DPMS and others.  Can I do better?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out [url=http://www.adcofirearms.com/rockriver/rockriver.cfm?page=rra]ADCO Firearms[/url].

Steve has the new style carriers with bolt for $105.56.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:01:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Or you might try the EE board on this web site[:D]. At any given time, there are always a few caariers being advertised.  Have gotten two of 'em off the board myself.

Personally, I don't trust any of the aftermarket stuff, and I don't care whose name is on it. I'd rather haunt the gun shows (Eastman's here in Georgia) and look for GI surplus parts, which are usually Colt.  But that's just my personal thing.  The one aftermarket carrier I do have, a DPMS, is about .007 inch longer than it should be, and scrapes the front of the buffer when I close the action. It's also not as well finished as the four Colt carriers I have. It does work OK tho.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:39:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest only buying a bolt that has been magnafluxed.  Bolts will be marked "MPC" if this has been performed.  Colt and Bushmaster are the only manufacturers I know of that QC check their barrels and bolts this way.

In my opinion, the bolt/carrier is not the place to look for the lowest cost option.  Bushmaster bolt/carrier groups are high quality and are less likely to destruct if you get a high-pressure load.

Just my opinion, so take it for what its worth.

Josh
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:42:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I guess replacing the bolt isn't that big of a deal, as far as matching.  I will just get someone who knows AR's well to check it before I shoot it.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I guess replacing the bolt isn't that big of a deal, as far as matching.  I will just get someone who knows AR's well to check it before I shoot it.  
View Quote

Pongo,

Don't know where you are in Georgia, but I'll be at the Eastman show in Marietta week after next. If you can make it there, and meet me, I'll be happy to take a look, and if you do need something changed, my favorite parts guy L.D. McPherson of Southeast Military Parts, is certain to be at the show.  Going to pick up a couple of odds and ends myself[:D]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would suggest only buying a bolt that has been magnafluxed.  Bolts will be marked "MPC" if this has been performed.  Colt and Bushmaster are the only manufacturers I know of that QC check their barrels and bolts this way.
View Quote

I have an old Colt B/BC and the markings are easy to spot on them.  But on my B/BC that I bought directly from Bushmaster (with an upper), I don't see any markings.  Where should I be looking?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't swear to it, since all my bolts are Colt GI surplus, but if I recall correctly, the Bushie bolts I've seen coming out these days are not marked any more. I suspect that they ran out of the GI spec bolts left over from the M4 contract, and just went into the subcontractor market like everyone else.

Understand, the ONLY reason Bushmaster ever got that M4 contract was because of the owner's connections with the Bush family, or don't you remember where the Bush's summer home is?[:D] Except for the standard hard chrome lining on their barrels, and using GI spec steel for the barrels, their products are no better than any of the other top aftermarket producers. The Rock River lower I bought last Saturday makes my Bushmaster lower look sick by comparison, and I paid $50 LESS for it.

If you do, in fact, need a new bolt and/or carrier Bushie is a good aftermarket brand, but so is Rock River, DPMS, Armalite, and several others.  If you're not going to use Colt innards, all the top aftermarket brands are about the same, and you should start shopping price.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Legal transfers[url]www.ar15sales.com[/url] is currently selling complete bolt/carrier for $99. You can check it out on the equip exchange if you are interested.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are patient, you can get RRA bolts in the eqipment exchange on sale for $100.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top