Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2003 8:03:52 PM EDT
Hello folks.

In an attempt increase heat dissipation using regular handguards (I currently have no money for KAC M5 RAS, too much $$$ hit with TA31), will it do any harm if I removed upper aluminum heat sheild? I have no problem with upper section getting hot since my hands won't be there anyways.

Would removing heat sheild damage handguards because of heat?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#1]
The plastic on the handguards is good to at least 500 degrees F. You can get your barrel past that temperature with about 7 mags back-to-back semi-auto as fast as you can (M4 handguards).

A local range is having to do some sustained fire testing of equipment and they report occasional cases of either the glue or the plastic in the handguards catching fire around 700F. It doesn't really burn but puts out lots of noxious black smoke.

The standard carbine handguards cool better than the M4, so can't say how that would change the equation as all of this info is secondhand from the guy actually doing the testing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Why not just remove the entire top hand guard? [whacko]

Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually this is for rifle handguards. Hmm...
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
...It doesn't really burn but puts out lots of noxious black smoke...
testing.
View Quote

This is exactly what I had happen to me after removing the upper heat shield of my M4. I was with a friend who wanted to shoot an AR15. We each went through 5-30s back to back. At first I thought I placed too much clp on the barrel. But after inspection realized the handguard was extremely hot. Use extreme caution.

I now have a KAC RAS M4 which preformed without any problems last Friday. Trust me a KAC RAS or any of their quad rail handguards are worth their weight in gold.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for reply.

Actually I do have a SIR for my carbine but this is for a rifle.

I guess I'm getting a M5 RAS after all. I was going to buy a Sure-Fire but I this has more priority.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Look at Cavalry Arms handguards. There was a thread here somewhere about it. They stated their materials melted at much higher temps.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, the rifle will have more barrel mass and more surface area. Same for rifle handguards.

The M4 are pretty much the worst case scenario for heat buildup and handguards. I'd bet the rifle does noticeably better than the M4 in cooling.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, Shawn at Cav said their handguards don't really need the heat shields, but they put them on because buyers expect them.  He had posted pictures of the gas tube melting, but no damage to the unshielded handguards.  They use a better than milspec plastic.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top