Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2003 9:35:21 AM EDT
I am trying to choose which Bushmaster would be better for me.
The two I am looking at are:
The Superlight with the psydo folding stock or
The M4 replica witht eh psydo folding stock

I will be using for home defense as well as homeland defense and to take to the range to "mess around" to compliment my Mini 30

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#1]
First off:
Welcome firefighter37!

Secondly...I don't believe anyone makes a folding stock AR-15...The only thing you'll be able to find will be collapable stocks. And those won't retract completely because you need a little room for the buffer tube.
Also, due o our wonderful lawmakers, it has been illegal since 1994 to have a collapible stock on any NEW "assult-rifle". Rifles made after 1994 are called Post-Bans.
If you REALLY want a collapsable stock, you will need to find yourself a lower, which was made before 1994. They're called Pre-Bans. They are usually very expensive, and rather hard to find.
Good news is, this Assult Weapon Ban is bound to expire in ten years from 1994...It's supposed to expire September 2004. However there is a good chance it might be renewed....There are a billion arguments regarding this subject all over this forum.
Just MAKE SURE you do not put any of the following on a Post-Ban AR-15:
1)Collapsable Stock
2)Flash-surpressor
3)Bayonet Lug

Having said that, Bushmaster is an AWESOME brand, if not the BEST. If you really want one of those two options, I'd go with the M4 Type. But beware that in order to comply with barrel length laws (16"), All companies will add a Compensator on the tip of their 14.5" barrel. These have a tendency to increase the noise and blast felt by the shooter. I believe that this would be a horrible feature if you intend to use it for home defense...you'd also loose on bullet velocity...
If you want a bushmaster M4 type I'd definately go with this upper:
[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/post-ban/pura2b16m4.asp[/url]
It's the same size as all other M4 barrels, plus you get the added velocity...I would advise against superlight barrels.
Either way go with bushmaster...best brand on the face of this planet...Good luck and happy shooting: [newbie]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#2]
if you are going to be carrying it in a vehicle at all, the 16" barrel length is handy. Also check out bushmaster's M17s bullpup. It takes any size AR15 magazines and the price is nice; it's the only production bullpup rifle available to the American public right now, all others are in kit form. Hard to find, though, dealers are allocated them.

Have fun looking!
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Which would I pick?

Superlight.

Ditch the fake [s]folder[/s] collapsible, though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree about ditching the fake telestock. Unless you like things that sacrifice functionality for pure cosmetic. Nothing wrong with that if you do, I put green furniture on my carbine for cosmetics.

Ultralight is nice but heavy barrel is slower to heat up (also slower to cool down of course).

Flat top is more versatile, but A2 fixed carry handle/rear sights is classic and rugged.

For every feature, there is an advantage and disadvantage.

Makes choosing hard, doesn't it? Thats why I have 3 ARs now.

Link Posted: 9/20/2003 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#6]
On the superlite, the other buttstock option is the shorty, and it sure was. I sent my bottom end back to have Bushmaster add the regular stock.
 I think the superlite with a regular buttstock would be a good rig. I also have the BM M4, and it is light and handy, but it seems to be a slight bit front heavy. The lite feels just right.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top