Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2003 7:09:23 PM EDT
Im a freshman in a community college, I am thinking of joining the reserves for a few years doing the one weekend a month one week a year thing. If I do join the Army reserve, what laws am I exempt from or what are now my limits? Im just trying to learn all I can before I sign on the dotted line. Also, anyone else in the reserves? What was your MOS?
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe you would be exempt from anything as far as your personal firearms go. Good luck with only serving one weekend a month with the way things are going.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:51:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Military & LEO is No "get into the candystore free" card unless you are active duty. Even then you are more limited than you think. It is not worth it. Go to serve your country or to see if it's what you might like to do. Otherwise you're probably setting yourself up for a disappointing ride.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#3]
This would be your Reserve "commitment" stated as simply as possible.

1. From the day you sign up/ship out to Basic Training, to the day your commitment ends is eight (8) years.  

2. The above mentioned Basic Training will last nine weeks give or take a week for travel and processing.

3. Then you will go to AIT (Advanced Individual Traing)to get your MOS (Military Occupational Specialty). Depending on what that is, it could take 8 to 10 weeks or up to almost a year for certain MOS's. What was it that you wanted to do?

4. When all this initial training is done, then you can return to home, work, or to school. Initially, We're talking about being gone for an average of 6 months. Can you put your life/school on hold for that long?

5. Now you can start your "regular" Reserve career. One weekend a month, yes. One week a year, I think not. How about two weeks a year, with many units doing three now a days. This will also interfere with work/school. I hope you have an understanding boss/teachers.

I hope I haven't scared you off, that wasn't my intent. I only want you to know the commitment you are facing should you decide to join. There are currently very good educational benifits being offered by the Reserves, and I would encourage those who are interested and who could otherwise not afford higher education to take advantage of them. But, regardless of what some recruiter, or anyone else who is trying to "up their numbers" may tell you. Remember this, it is a two way street and you should be prepared to hold up your end of the bargain. Even if that includes being deployed to some third world shit hole for a year or more.

That is the current reality of life in the Reserves. Since the Clinton era cutbacks reduced our Active Components to half of their former strength. In todays Reserve you will most likely be deployed at least once during your commitment if not more. So, you must ask yourself if you are prepared to do so. Those who can't, need not apply.

Wpns Man    
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top