Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2003 9:47:35 AM EDT
I'm new to these ARs and I'm getting ready to make my first purchase. I'm looking to get something with a varmint upper since primary use will be paper punching and coyotes. I think I would like to get an 18" bull barrel rather than a 20" to try to save a little weight while carrying in the woods. Is there any measureable difference in accuracy between the 2 lengths?? I know tht there will probably be about 100 fps velocity difference, but since I handload, I can possibly compensate some by using apowder on the faster end of the scale. I also have a question on twist. I've researched this  also and I think I would be better off with 1 in 9 twist. This would allow me to shoot some of the 53-55 gr bullets for varmints. My question is what is the heaviest bullet tht twist will shoot accurately??  Thanks for any input.

bowhuntr
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Accuracy difference should be negligable.

1/9 can handle 69gr easily.  Some people say they've had good luck with 75 or 77gr while others haven't.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Accuracy difference should be negligable.

1/9 can handle 69gr easily.  Some people say they've had good luck with 75 or 77gr while others haven't.
View Quote

Agreed on negligible accuracy difference.

So far as bullet weight, 55-75 grn with 69grn being about ideal for max accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#3]
If you plan on carrying it I would not recommend a bull barrel. I had a 16" bull and thought it would be handy. It was just too heavy to carry and especially for off-hand shots it was impossible. I went to a 16 inch HBAR(I could probably go lighter) with great success. I get sub MOA groups with bullets ranging from 45 gr to 68 gr (I wouldn't go higher than 69-70).

I think your choice of an 18 inch barrel is very good. When I shoot out my 16 or get bored I'm going to get an 18 (low profile like .75 from reciever to muzzle).

If it's a bench gun the Bull barrel is fine, but if you want to pack it, get a lighter barrel. I will bet you won't notice any accuracy difference unless you are shooting many rounds at a time and still it will be minimal.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/047933.jpg[/img]

5 shot 100yd group using 68gr hornady bthp, bipod and wooden bench.
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/040107.jpg[/img]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top