Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2003 7:46:40 AM EDT
Everyone is discussing what evil features that they would like to buy if/when AWB expires.  But I have the opposite question.  

I like bare muzzles (no threads, no brakes, no flash hiders).  If/when the AWB goes away, will AR manfs (especially Bushmaster, my favorite) still be producing bare barrels with no threads ?  I would expect this to happen with varmint barrels easily - but what about the 16" LW, 16" HBAR, and 20" HBAR - will these still be produced with no threads ?

As a side question - How common were plain-muzzle barrels in 16" and 20" before 1994 ?
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#1]
There were non except for target barrels before the ban and it will return to the same after the ban is gone...
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#2]
If smart they will discount the "postban" weapons & barrels now to make room for the "Properly configured" equipment. I suppose that there will nonetheless be some left over if they don't sell them & they might do them on a custom order basis. Regardless, your tastes put you in an advantageous position as people with post ban barrels seeking "Properly configured" replacements will likely sell practically new barrels for a great price.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#3]
How hard would it be for them to just thread all the postban barrels they have?  Or am I missing something. I guess these wouldn't have a bayo lug.

Maybe they'd sell those at a discount [:D].

Great question G35, I like the plain barrels too for my varmint rig(easier to clean). But I don't really need a primo high dollar target barrel.

FWIW you can get threaded collars (thread protectors) for an AR that would make the barrel look plain again.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#4]
As long as NY state has a threaded barrel as a defining characteristic of an AW in the [u]state[/u] AW ban, there will continue to be a need for plain barrels. [:(]

On Nov 1st 2000, this state regurgitated the federal ban into state law, except for the sunset clause.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like bare muzzles (no threads, no brakes, no flash hiders).
View Quote
That's a great question, and you're not alone in liking plain-end barrels.  I'm very sceptical of the utility of flash hiders, and I think both MB's and FH's look ugly.  I think market forces will dictate that plain-end barrels will continue to be offered, both for poor pathetic states like NY (sorry, you poor New Yorkers, I feel for ya,) and for folks like us.  I've gotta believe that they're cheaper to make and give us compulsive AR-15 buyers more options, which is always good.

JMHO, C_M
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#7]
But the real question is.....Are they going to do away with the Ban?  For some reason I don't think so, but I pray they do.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top