Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2003 9:50:30 PM EDT
I'm looking for a case for my ar15 carbine that is airline approved. I.e. good locks and built like a tank. Ideas?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know where the link is, but I got a Pelican 'second' dirt cheap from them [url=http://www.pelican.com/products.html] factory direct[/url]...

This thing is indestructable. GREAT lock fastners (4 each) and did I say dirt cheap. It even has a pressure valve, foam,  wheels and handles all over. I got way more than my moneys worth, and whoever splits up my gear will have this their whole life.

Ask about factory seconds...By the way, I searched inch by inch, I never found the second part.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I dont know where the link is, but I got a Pelican 'second' dirt cheap from them [url=http://www.pelican.com/products.html] factory direct[/url]...
View Quote
What model did you get, and when you say dirt cheap, what do you mean by dirt cheap (ballpark?)
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#3]
What you're looking for is something that has an ATA approval rating. Companies like SKS and Roadie make a variety of ATA approved cases for musical instruments... I'm sure they have lines for guns as well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:35:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
What model did you get, and when you say dirt cheap, what do you mean by dirt cheap (ballpark?)
View Quote

I went all the way, 1750 case...

I hate to say price, because I really do nmot remember. And he shipped it that day.

Great price, case, service...

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:54:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I second the Pelican cases, they're extremley well built (just don't have the money for them).  As an airline employee, I can tell you as long as you have a functional way of locking the case the airlines generally accept it.  I don't know about where you live but in atlanta, I have seen where the TSA have cut locks off of cases because they weren't unlocked and open ready for inspection.  For this reason, I'd either A. bring it to the Airport unlocked or B.  Bring some heavy duty zip ties incase you get a real pissy inspector who decides to cut your 25 dollar Schlage lock off.  Zip ties are an acceptable alternative, allthough less secure.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#6]
My 1750 just sailed through my hunting trip. It protected 2 different rifles, perfectly. The thing you want to do is have the case unlocked, so it can be inspected by the TSA screeners. Make sure you stay in the area, and tell them that you want to lock the case after the screening. They're more than happy to let you do this, and they're mighty appreciative of the forwardness. I took my optics off the rifle, and put then in my carry-on pack, wrapped in bubble-wrap. This insured that the optics didn't get bumped around by some baggage flunky.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#7]
While I like Pelican, I like Starlight better. I just got a 2x rifle Starlight for $135.00 From Brownells. The "Shotgun / Carbine" Case should fit most AR's and should be about $100.00.

This is assuming that you get the discount at Brownells.

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info. Another question since some of you work for an airline. If I get a bigger case like the Pelican 1750, there should be no problem putting multiple guns in one case and mags for them as long as there is no ammo in there also. Right? I was thinking the 1750 would hold my RRA carbine, Sig 220, and lots of mags nicely...since the 1700 would be a squeeze to fit just the rifle (no colapseable stock, arhhh).
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#10]
one comment on locking your case up when they are finished... i work as a mechanic for an airline and we are constantly going outbase for repairs. manytimes we get softseated back (commercial seat instead of those stupid freighters), anyway a friend of mine was coming back in and got stopped at the screener. they pulled him aside and opened his toolbox and they would not allow him to close it and lock it. so when he got into town he knew there was a problem when he got and it was wrapped in cargo tape. needless to say they managed to lose about 750 dollars in handtools. but the real kicker is that this isn't the first time for him. last time they got him for over a grand. stupid ramp monkeys that just don't care about things.

trevor
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As an airline employee, I can tell you as long as you have a functional way of locking the case the airlines generally accept it.  I don't know about where you live but in atlanta, I have seen where the TSA have cut locks off of cases because they weren't unlocked and open ready for inspection.  For this reason, I'd either A. bring it to the Airport unlocked or B.  Bring some heavy duty zip ties incase you get a real pissy inspector who decides to cut your 25 dollar Schlage lock off.  Zip ties are an acceptable alternative, allthough less secure.
View Quote
Thing is though that as far as I know regulations state that firearms must be transported in a [b]locked[/b] case. So after having had the content of the case inspected at check-in, the case should be locked and marked as containing firearms. No-one should mess with it until you pick it up at your destination.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Pelican...All the way I got one holds 2 rifles...Mine was made for Browning and it went through the ringer at the Airport luggage. If I figure how to put pictures on the site again.  I will put some on of the case.

Edited: I just looked at the Pelican site. My case is like the 1750. It's made by Browning and called. The Travel Vault Model #5115. I paid $179.00. Holds 2 rifles and came with a middle foam piece. I guess your supposed to cut it out for your rifles to fit snug.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I use an SKB double gun case for my bolt action and it has survived airports but it set me back 180.00 but well worth it

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So after having had the content of the case inspected at check-in, the case should be locked and marked as containing firearms.
View Quote

As you were. The Firearms declaration, under .gov law, is to be signed and go [b]inside[/b] the case. There should be NO MARKINGS indicatings firearms inside.

IIRC, all baggage is insured for a grand or so, I add another grand for 20 bucks or so. They then put a barcode tracking number on it. If you insure it through them, [b]they will not loose it[/b]. They will even make you come get it from them personally at the luggage window, usually before the other luggage arrives.

I have had in my 1750, at one time, an AR, a 30/30, a 454 Casull and my CCW pistol. [i]Most[/i] airlines treat guns as sportinmg equipment, like golf bags and ski's, and its a FREE bag. No reason if its free not to be prepared for SHTF anywhere!.!

Also, [b]NEVER[/b] have loaded mags. Keep all ammo in the [b]original[/b] box. Ask me how I know.

A Franklin  County Sherriff in Ohio got $50.00 worth of Ammo from me. Airline assclown was gonna 'help me out' and 'get rid of it' I unloaded mags and was gonna throw it in the trash. (They had NEVER asked before that to see the ammo). They then said I couldnt throw my ammo in the trash. I refused to give it to asclown, I asked for the Police to come. I gave it to him personally.  I showed him my guns, explained my RKBA lifestyle,and invited him [i]here[/i]. He winked and said the ammo would be destroyed, and said thanks!
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So after having had the content of the case inspected at check-in, the case should be locked and marked as containing firearms.
View Quote

As you were. The Firearms declaration, under .gov law, is to be signed and go [b]inside[/b] the case. There should be NO MARKINGS indicatings firearms inside.

IIRC, all baggage is insured for a grand or so, I add another grand for 20 bucks or so. They then put a barcode tracking number on it. If you insure it through them, [b]they will not loose it[/b]. They will even make you come get it from them personally at the luggage window, usually before the other luggage arrives.
View Quote
Sorry, forgot to add that the procedure I described was for international flight.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pelican 1750 is wide enough for a AR with a scope on the carry handle, about the only case wide enough, I don't think Starlight is.
View Quote

My Starlight 38" case holds a carbine with an ACOG on the carry handle, leaving about 1.5" of foam on top (ACOG) & bottom (pistol grip).  It probably wouldn't work very well with a 30rd mag inserted, though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#17]
This thread needs more love for Starlight. I love mine!
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't know if this is a FAA thing or just Delta's ploicy, but you can only put one firearm per case.  Granted you can bend the rules a little such as completley disassemble your rifles and then take maybe the bolt with you, just make sure you clean them up real good should they decide to swab it for explosive compounds.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
...and then take maybe the bolt with you, just make sure you clean them up real good should they decide to swab it for explosive compounds.
View Quote

That ain't gonna happen. The first though I had, was to remove the bolts from my rifles, and take them with me on the airplane. I was told in no uncertain terms, that I wouldn't be allowed on the plane with the bolts in my possession. Optics yes, bolts no. What I had in my Pelican was two complete rifles (1 AR, 1 scoped rifle), 40 rounds of ammo (in their original boxes), misc cleaning apparatus, including a Dewey rod, 2 slings, and torque wrenches for the precision rifle. I sailed through screening, both coming and going. As long as you're polite, up front about everything packed in the case, and don't get upset when people lay hands on your guns, the process goes as smooth as butter. And it only took me 15 extra minutes. No big deal.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know if this is a FAA thing or just Delta's ploicy, but you can only put one firearm per case.  Granted you can bend the rules a little such as completley disassemble your rifles and then take maybe the bolt with you, just make sure you clean them up real good should they decide to swab it for explosive compounds.
View Quote
Well F me, I didn't know that or I wouldn't have flown Delta @#$%! Thanks! Glad I found that out before I got to the airport. I think that must be a Delta rule, although most airlines SAY one gun per case, I have seen several people carry two shotguns in the same case

I thought I checked this before-Delta's Website says two firearms per case, not that has anything to do with what happens at the airport [:(]
[url]http://www.delta.com/travel/trav_serv/bag_info/sp_handling/sporting/index.jsp[/url]
View Quote

I've flown Delta before out of Hartford with 2 rifles in a case with no problem. I usuall print out the Airline Regs I've found online and take them with me. It's saved me from problems in the past concerning ammunition transport.

bowhuntr
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I fly pretty frequently from North Florida to Washington, DC.  Usually, I take Southwest, although I have flown on Delta when presented with a total lack of choice.  These are my personal experiences:

Both Southwest and Delta list their firearm requirements on the web.  Print out a copy and bring it with you.

Federal regulations state that you must transport your firearms in a locked hard case, with an affadavit (usually a tag) stating that the firearm is unloaded.  There must be no external markings that indicate a firearm is contained inside.

Southwest currently lets you fly with 8 lbs of ammo, Delta with 11.  Flying out of North Florida, no one has ever weighed it.  Flying out of DC, it gets weighed every time.  Both Delta and Southwest allow ammo to be locked inside the pistol or rifle case, provided it is in it's "original container" or other approved container (NOT IN THE MAGAZINE).  

I have never had a problem checking a firearm.  I am always polite, and allow the attendant to direct the inspection.  I sign the affadavit, throw it in the case, lock it all up, and off it goes.  Since post 9/11, only firearms cases can be locked, so I often throw other valuables in the case.

As to cases, Pelicans are indestructable.  However, you stated that you wanted a case that looks good, too.  I highly recommend Kalispel aluminum cases.  I have a large rifle case and a pistol/utility case.  They are beautiful, secure, and built like a tank.  They are also priced competitively with Pelican.

Don't sweat flying with your firearm.  Be polite, be informed, and you'll have no problems.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 4:44:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Starlight 38" case holds a carbine with an ACOG on the carry handle, leaving about 1.5" of foam on top (ACOG) & bottom (pistol grip).  It probably wouldn't work very well with a 30rd mag inserted, though.
View Quote

Hm, I measured my AR  with an IOR on the carry handle and it didn't look like it would fit, didn't put a 30 in for airport shipping purposes, though it would be fun when you declared it[BD]
View Quote

Yeah, I imagine that the IOR sits significantly higher than the ACOG because it requires additional mounting hardware.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top