Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2003 9:02:15 PM EDT
First off, thanks for looking

My new Colt M4 carbine came with one of those stupid non-retractable stocks. Originally I was going to keep it, but after shooting the rifle for the first time today I have determined that it is worse than useless.

If I can't have a real retractable I'd like a shorter entry-length stock. Does someone make an A2 style entry stock with a trapdoor?

If not, what would you get? How is the quality of the ACE entry stock vs a smaller A2 style stock?

Lastly, any pics of your personal setup w/entry stocks would be appreciated.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:46:35 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO , a short FIXED stock is a compromise,
for when you need/want the MINIMUM length on
a postban rifle.

The ACE stocks look good,and most people say
the quality is excellent ,but I have no personal experience.

Lastly,  a standard trapdoor buttplate WILL
fit on a stubby stock (see pic), but you will have less space inside.

[img]http://compjrk.home.mindspring.com/dadcar.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:58:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply and the pic AKsRule. Your rig looks exactly how I want mine setup. If I can't have a real collapsible stock, I think I'd like to at least have the storage sompartment to store spare batteries and such.

If the AWB isn't replaced by something even more sinister next year I'll install a real four or six position at that time. The fixed retractable that I have now is about the most foolish thing I have ever seen. It's a shame that Colt took an otherwise perfect rifle and installed such a piece of crap on it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Everybody has their own personal tastes and there's no use arguing with them about it. I however, wholeheartedly agree with your opinion. The telestock is a very useful tool for versatility but it is only aesthetically acceptable in the closed position (IMO). These BATF telestocks fax the position in the most useful, but also in the most ugly position possible: Extended. I bought my 20" A3 with some very careful deliberation. Most of us are partial to the CQB 16" (or shorter) style ARs. I am one of those people. I chose the 20" because the only thing I will have to replace to make it perfect (for what it is ) is a threaded barrel complete with FH & lug. That's a $200 (tops) fix. If I opted for the 16" I'd have to replace the barrel AND the ugly-ass telestock with a true version. Not to mention, if we're all screwed down the line (a slight possibility) I will have a useful and tolerable weapon with a trapdoor.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Great points and thanks for your post pulpsmack. Ultimately, I could live with the neutered telestock if I was the only one shooting it, but I'm not. My wife expressed renewed interest in rifle shooting once she handled this new M4. Once she hits the range with it I'll probably never get it back-especially if it's equipped with a short stock that fits her properly. She loves to shoot my Colt HBARs, but they are simply too long and heavy for her small frame. If she does commandeer it I may have to buy another one for myself...

...and that wouldn't bother me a bit [:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top