Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2003 7:08:01 PM EDT
I have access to an EDM and a few concepts Id like to try out.  Anyone know of a company making blanks?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Round Stock?
Figure out what kind of steel you want to use, and then check the suppliers in your area.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say to ask Kurt.  When you say "blanks", what do you mean?  Do you mean a piece of steel cut into a 2.5 or a 3 inch long and 7/8 inch in diameter.  Or do you mean a 3 inch long piece, 7/8 inch diameter already threaded?

I bet Kurt already has a bunch of blanks made up.

How would a person do a flash suppressor on EDM?  Wouldn't you have to turn it for each slot?  I am interested in flash suppressor design too, namely a flash suppressor that is only slightly longer than an A2 but about as effective as a Phantom.

Got any CAD drawings?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Blank, as in a complete, ready to install flash suppressor with NO cuts, ports etc...
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, I get it.  Blank as in you could screw it on and shoot with it, but no ports and the inside isn't hollowed out.

What are you planning on making, if it isn't to super secret to ask?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Its a secret [;)]

Just testing a plan to see if I can make a more effective FS that doesnt create as much of a dust signature as the Vortex or Phantom.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#6]
check your e-mail, I might be able to help.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Its a secret [;)]

Just testing a plan to see if I can make a more effective FS that doesnt create as much of a dust signature as the Vortex or Phantom.
View Quote

So you would probably want to create high turbulence just outside out the flash suppressor, as opposed to standard slots, which would be more of a flow.

A person could do this with many sharp edges I would think, so that the gasses would curl out around them.  Maybe not.  Or instead of trying to create turbulence up close by the FS, maybe a person could direct the flows into each other to disturb them and make them not carry so far.

Maybe...

If you do have access to EDM or CNC, FS are a relatively cheap thing to play with.  So make a bunch of prototypes.  Then make one that works really well, and send it out to everyone BUT Chen![;)]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
You gonna do curved interanl slots inside the flash hider like a phantom but just on the top?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Sort of...

LOL.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#10]
bump for update...though I doubt it
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Both the vortex and the phantom work off "twisting" the burning powder gases (thats a simplification that someone is sure to correct me on), and thats going to be the hard part to create while removing the bottom vents.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#12]
You mean because it would be asymetrical?  I can't see why it wouldn't work somewhat well, just less effectively.  

Ok, another question.  Right at bullet exit from the bore and shortly after, does the rifling affect muzzle gas flow.  I am guessing yes, but it may only be when the bullet is just coming out, so for such a short duration that would be insignificant.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Just build a functional silencer and that's the best flash hider known to man.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Dont rain on my parade.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top