Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2003 3:08:11 PM EDT
I've got a Bushy 16" V-match and am looking for an inexpensiveway to protect my forward hand from the aluminum freefloat tube as it gets quite hot (even during slowfire).  Has anyone had any luck with 550 cord?  If so what is a good way to go about wraping the tube?  Anyone got pics?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Para cord is NOT a good thing to mix with heat... it melts.  Wear gloves... Tactical shooting gloves. Or.... switch to a non-metal surfaced tube like a Hogue etc.

Im not saying that the temps you are dealing with on your tube WILL melt the cord.... But dont be messy about fixing a problem like that. Or it could GET messy ;)

Tim
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Least expensive and most effective way to protect your hand is probably a short piece of rail and a forward pistol grip.  Drill a couple holes in the tube to attach the rail with nuts/bolts and you're good to go.  Just don't use a metal grip because that'll just transfer the heat and you're back where you started.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Tons of people have wrapped their handguards in paracord, one of the first was "Bishop" who had a gem of a little Shortbarreled AR15 and if any AR is gonna get hot/toast with volume fire it was that thing.    Short little 7 inch barrel or some rediculous thing along with an aluminum handguard, doesn't make for much of a heat sink to soak up the heat.   Never heard of him complaining about melting the paracord.

Then from there it expanded, I saw his rifle and instantly knew that's what my accurized AR15 called for to help insulate the handguards that SPONGED up the heat from the 100+ degree summer's sun or got VERY cold during the winter.    The way I wrapped my handguards I also managed to get additional functionality out of the pattern I used.

Directions that I gave many moons ago can be found here....

[url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/wrapyourhandguardswithparacord.msnw[/url]

Other pictures of the beast rifle with the paracord wrap.
[url]http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/jpar/jpar.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, good info.  I'm going to give it a try.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top