Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2003 12:28:54 PM EDT
I got an 11oz spray can of Ballistol lube from a buddy a few months ago in a gun deal and have been using it on everything from my muzzleloader to my AR.   It's a non-petrol based lube so you can use it on muzzleloader where regular oils and lubes would not be good.  It's safe, non-toxic, it'll clean , lube and protect it's good on woods, metals, leather, plastic, rubber heck you can even use it to clean your plants with.  This stuff is truly magic.  If you've not tried it you should give it a go, you may end up replacing several lube with this one and save a few bucks.   Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out to ya'll.  Talk at ya' later.  TN.Frank

http://www.ballistol.com/
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I just read an interesting article in this months issue of Shotgun News pertaining to certain lubes in harsh dusty environments. It talks about what happened in Iraq with the weapon malfunctions. It goes in great detail on the minerals that make up sand and the abrasion and friction that it causes. The article states," lubricants of high viscosity should be avoided in regimens of wind blown sand. Only lubes with low viscosity should be used in these types of environments. Low viscosity gun lubes that can be recommended include Break-free LP, Tetra Gun L and G96 Gun treatment. There are literally dozens of others that can be used. Weapons should recieve only light applications only of these low-viscosity lubricants. Powdered graphite-type lubricants and other so-called "dry" lubricants can be employed with some effect also." It also talks about operating small arms completely "dry" and unlubricated in the desert. Saying its unacceptable because one, low viscosity lubricants literally flush propellant and other types of fouling away from the reciprocating components into interior nooks and crannies where they do not interfere with operation. And second, running without any lubricants accelerates wear at alarming rates, especially firearms operating in the full-auto mode.

Just something I thought I'd pass on.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess Ballistol would be good then because it's a low viscosity lube.  Talk to ya' later.  TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#3]
never heard of it. Where can you buy it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Check the link above.  It's been around for over 90 years.  Works on just about anything.  I had a S&W Sigma that had a gritty trigger pull, it was the plastic on plastic that was rubbing.  I put RemOil on it, didn't help, I tried CLP, still didn't help, just one squrit of Ballistol and bingo, it was as smooth as a babies butt.  I swear by it now.   I need to e-mail my buddy and have him bring up another can when he comes up.  Talk to ya' later.  TN.Frank
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top