Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2003 12:08:04 PM EDT
OK, I would just search the topic, but it only goes back 30 days, so here is my question. I got a carrier at a gunshow, it was marked ar15, but When I opened the bag at the house later, it was a m-16 carrier, now I went to try and trade it off to someone who might want it over on another board, seeing I wanted a ar15 carrier for a possible Future LL purcahse, and I had no need in a 16. Now somone starts dragging up the idea that a 16 carrier is illegal in a ar15. I looked and never saw anything that says it is, I see, that if you have enough parts to make a ar15 go auto, that is illegal, or is easily convertible is also illegal. But what is the true real Internet commando ruling on a m-16 carrier in a ar15???? It isnt capable of firing more than 1 shot no matter what with only a m16 carrier. If thats true, why can ak's run around with auto carriers in them then???
Thanks for any clarification....

(bring back a better search feature please :) )

p.s. What gun was used in the movie heat?????
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]
All you want to read and more...

[url]http://www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=6&t=147440&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I run an M16 carrier in my AR15.  I wrote the technical branch of the ATF telling them so.  Requested a clarification that this is legal since I dont:

A: Own an unregistered LL or DIAS (machine gun by itself)

B: Have a hole for the auto sear (machinegun by itself)

C: Have ALL the parts to make a full auto (consipracy to build a machinegun)

D: Rifle does not fire more than one round per pull of the trigger

You can have as many full auto parts as you want so long as you have no type of auto sear or hole for one cut in the reciever and it does not fire full auto.  Older AR15s were sold often with M16 parts in them and this is common and allowed for other types of rifles too (like an M2 bolt in an M1 carbine etc)
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as you dont have any M16 fire control parts hammer, trigger, etc. Your fine.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#4]
WAIIIIIIIIIT A MINUTE..............!!!

the above two statements are conflicting !!!

when i done research & asked, i was told, "NO M16 parts in an AR-15..." that specificaly meant carrier, hammer, trigger, disconector/sear, safety/selector......
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#5]
You can have some but not all.  Reread my post.  Some full auto parts are legal even in other types of rifles... you just cant have ownership or control of all.  Even if your buddy owns an auto sear and you own all the other parts if he visits your house with that part in his pocket your busted because its in your control (your house).  If you have all the parts but two and the ATF wanted to bust you all they have to do is catch your buddy coming in with the two mising parts in his pocket.  That is constructive intent.  There are AR15s that were sold with M16 hammers etc in them at time of sale... these are NOT illegal to posess.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#6]
The ATF "RECCOMENDS" you not use M16 parts.

The FDA also "RECCOMENDS" I dont eat a double cheese burger for lunch.  It does not make it illegal.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks,
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
WAIIIIIIIIIT A MINUTE..............!!!

the above two statements are conflicting !!!

when i done research & asked, i was told, "NO M16 parts in an AR-15..." that specificaly meant carrier, hammer, trigger, disconector/sear, safety/selector......
View Quote

From what I have read your not supposed to have any M16 fire control parts installed on your AR15. A bolt carrier is not a fire control part. I am no expert on this matter and do not intend this info to be used for legal purposes. This issue has been beaten to death so i'll say no more.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top