Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2003 6:48:53 AM EDT
A few days ago I was shooting at the range rapid firing my AR. It was 100 degrees and I decided to let it cool. I waited a few minutes and it still was red hot. It was so hot that when I picked it up it left scorch marks where I set it down. I had some loose lemonade and I doused the barrel and chamber in it :D. (No im not crazy I clean my gun very freaking well) It all vaporized instantly and my gun was cool again. I have never had a cook-off before and I get paranoid when my gun overheats like this. How many magazines do you have to shoot on semi auto to worry about having a cook-off?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:34:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Ive never had a cook-off either... even after beta mag dumps....
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I have never had one in the 15+ years of ownership of AR's.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Um, correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't dousing an extremely hot piece of metal with cold liquid be a good way to warp and/or crack it?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Um, correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't dousing an extremely hot piece of metal with cold liquid be a good way to warp and/or crack it?
View Quote

I have sprayed CLP under the handguards of a hot barrel, but I would probably think twice about putting a cold bevergae onto a smoking hot barrel.  Thermal dynamics can do some odd things to metal.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would think that too but it depends how hot it is. I dont think my AR would be anywhere near that point heat wise.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Cook-off for the military M4A1 can occur around 180 rounds with the M4 handguards firing on full auto mag after mag.

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#7]
This may sound stupid, but whats a cock-off?
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

[LOLabove]

Don't know what a "cock-off" is either BUT

a "Cook off" is when the rifle is soo hot from extreme rapid fire, a round chambered will fire.

Pretty rare with an AR that IS NOT f.a. or the likes.

Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#9]
OK, Fine. But what's a Cock-off?!

[peep]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#10]
[ROFL2] I didn't even notice that...sorry it was a typo - LOL [ROFL2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Speaking of that, I think it's time for my nightly one. Ahhh single life...
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#12]
These discussions always lead to penises, whats up with that?!?!
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#13]
[b]"Cock-off" [i]{verb}[/i] -[/b] The act of assassinating a Rooster. Usually committed before a cock-fight, in order to sway odds into one's favor.

You guys need to get your minds out of the gutter...
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#14]
After eating a sack full of Krystals and a bowl of chili one night, I got too close to an open flame-no wait a minute that wasn't  a cook off, it was more a blevy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#15]
That would be BLEVE.
Boiling
Liquid
Expanding
vapor
Explosion
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top