Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2003 7:14:35 PM EDT
...and I still blame you guys dammit!!

Two days ago in this thread I lamented that my wife was getting nervous about my recent ammunition stockpiling behavior. Today I'm distressed to report that she has gone from mild nervousness to full blown contempt for my emotional well being. That's right, she thinks I've gone completely insane.

Why?

I've been storing my LC M193 and 45acp pistol ammo in surplus USGI ammo cans. Taking a look at the cans today I decided that they were ill-suited to properly secure my SHTF stash. The solution? A full restoration of the ammo cans.

My beloved wife feels that someone who takes the time to restore a rusty $5.00 surplus ammo can is an obsessive compulsive freak who is one step away from the asylum. Perhaps she's right, although I did try to explain that I was simply protecting our investment.

Here's a pic of my restoration efforts thus far. Three of my nine cans have been completed:

Pic

All it took was a can of flat black Rust-Oleum, some steel wool, a sponge and some elbow grease to clean them up. The rubber gaskets were removed, cleaned and then reinstalled. They now provide a much better seal.

I wish she could understand this...it's for the family afterall

Thanks for letting me vent guys. Hopefully some of you can understand...

Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#1]
looks cool, never thought of re-finishing those
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you really need to tell her?
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do you really need to tell her?
View Quote

She was wondering what I was doing in the backyard for two hours [:)]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Great, I'm in the process of refinishing some for myself too.   Can't find Krylon Camo colors at Walmart though, only their ultra flat black.  I wanted a desert tan scheme.

How do you remove/reapply the rubber seal?  I was thinking of just masking it off; Didn't want to possibly ruin the factory job.

As far as your link, the side column, "Gadget Girls Gallery Hot Asian Models Featuring Cool Gadgets!" caught my eye...
[;)]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#5]
How do you remove/reapply the rubber seal? I was thinking of just masking it off; Didn't want to possibly ruin the factory job.
View Quote

The gasket isn't glued to the lid-it's just a friction fit. I used a small screwdriver to pry up a corner and then carefully removed it. It cleaned up great with a sponge in a sink full of soapy water. It was a PITA to reinstall until I realized that the inside lip of the gasket was catching on the metal keeper thingies.

As far as your link, the side column, "Gadget Girls Gallery Hot Asian Models Featuring Cool Gadgets!" caught my eye...
View Quote

Whoa! Advertising revenue must be down for them or something. They've always been clean as far as I know [:)]

Edit: Looks like it's rated G [;)]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#6]
You need to paint a couple in her favorite color, and then give them to her.
Once she sees how "perfect" they are for her sewing and craft projects, she will never complain again.
That's what I did when I brought home 10 wooden  crates that rocket motors come in.
Now our house is decorated in "early militia", and she has no problem with it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Once she sees how "perfect" they are for her sewing and craft projects, she will never complain again.
That's what I did when I brought home 10 wooden  crates that rocket motors come in.
View Quote

Now that's a plan.[:D]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a [b]great[/b] idea!! Thanks Gunslinger808 [thinking]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife came in tonight and asked me why I was spending so much time at the range lately, and then spending 30 min each night looking at this board.

I could have told her:
"I am practicing for the pin competition tomorrow night, and combing the boards for more info on the perfect black rifle"

What I told her instead:
"Would you rather I get a girlfriend?"

After a tense moment, she smiled and said "no...but try not to start calling your gun baby again."

Sometimes we dont know how close we come to death (or at least the couch) untill after we feel our heartbeats in our ears.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#10]
[LOLABOVE]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#11]
damn    only 30 minutes    

wait till he finds the general board and the bear pit[lol]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#12]
You are doing it all wrong. Send them out for a mossy oak dip. She'll go bonkers.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]
damn only 30 minutes

Teach me how to do that !!!! I have been a ARFCOMMER for two years, and with my skill level, it takes me at least two hours !!!! And, that's with everything blurring by the screen !!!! damn only 30 minutes !!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#14]
What in the name of cat haire are you doing putting a link on here like that!! I just spent an hour votting on the USA Dream Girls!!  [shock]  I could have spent this time in the EE! [beer]
PS NICE CANS!
And I agree with your wife she does need help!
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#15]
hmmm , wonder how much it would cost to have Robar  
NP3 my cans ?  ;>
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

God, I can see it now...

[Martha Stewart]  Today on the show, we'll be refinishing our rusty old ammo cans in bold primary colors, perfect for the holidays or a festive SHTF scenario. [/Martha Stewart]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Dammit, CJan_NH, now I HAVE to go do that to my cans.  Just when I thought I was done spending money on guns (for this month), something else pops up.  

Nice cans.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

God, I can see it now...

[Martha Stewart]  Today on the show, we'll be refinishing our rusty old ammo cans in bold primary colors, perfect for the holidays or a festive SHTF scenario. [/Martha Stewart]
View Quote

If only Martha Stewart was that damn cool, we would all be in heaven.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Dammit, CJan_NH, now I HAVE to go do that to my cans.  Just when I thought I was done spending money on guns (for this month), something else pops up.  

Nice cans.  

Ghost
View Quote

Sorry [:D]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
... After a tense moment, she smiled and said "no...but try not to start calling your gun baby again." ......
View Quote

[ROFL2]

My wife calls my AR "The Other Woman" in a very scenical tone of voice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#21]
For a new guy you are fitting right in. Nice job! Your post count will be "most righteous" before you know it! Then you can really get serious. Welcome aboard.

Bob

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#22]
All of the cans are complete except for two new ones that haven't arrived yet [:)] Here's a pic of the finished product if anyone is interested:

[url=http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=14137]Completed cans[/url]

Thanks for the support guys!! I knew I wasn't crazy [:D]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Those cans looks sweet!  I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Backcountry
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Really nice looking cans, CJan_NH.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Cjan you just inspired me today to order 3 ammo cans, never brought them before and it's a great way to store ammo, instead of putting it in my safe!
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Cjan you just inspired me today to order 3 ammo cans, never brought them before and it's a great way to store ammo, instead of putting it in my safe!
View Quote

Excellent [:)] If you want yours in flat black like I did I used Rust-Oleum #V7776. It was on sale at Wal-Mart for $2.78 per can. I bought three cans and have one nearly full can left.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top