Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2003 1:04:16 PM EDT
After lurking for quite a while I finnally got enough funds together to buy an M4--specifically, 16" barrel, CAR handgaurds, flatop and A2 buttstock.
Had my mind made up on a RR version after having saw one at a match but a local dealer showed me a Oly CAR m4 which felt nice and had a decent stock trigger priced about $100 less.
My questions are:
--Is the Oly capable of shooting 5.56 ammo or is this a .223 rifle? There were no markings on the lower although the dealer said he thought it would shoot both.

--The RR can be chrome lined, the Oly not; would you exclude the Oly on this reason?

--The RR tac carry handle, I like the design, will this fit on any AR flattop?

--Any other major differences between the tow?
Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The Oly shoots both 5.56 and .223, as it is chambered for 5.56. A rifle that could not shoot 5.56 would one that was chambered with SAAMI specs and could shoot .223 only. If you look on the top of the barrel forward of the front sight base, you will see "5.56" stamped on all postban Olympics.

The chrome bore is a topic which has a polarizing effect. Some swear by it, others don't. While it will help protect against corrosion under harsh conditions, some feel the technology used to apply the chrome does not alway allow for ideal coating, thereby possibly creating an extremely small loss in accuracy.

The US military uses chrome bores, many match grade rifle barrels (Krieger for instance) may not have a chrome bore. I have rifles with both. My DCM rifles all have non-chrome bores. My skills are not good enough to note a difference. There are very expensive match grade rifles that have non chromed bores, so this is not necessarily a reflection of quality. After all, my AK has a chrome bore, and it is a very crude weapon. In the end, it is personal preference and use that will dictate.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#2]
i'd personally spend the extra money and get a RRAs................
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I am trying to decide on a new upper for a build I am doing, and was looking at the RRA uppers. What's up with that Wylde .223 chamber they come in? why not just 5.56 like everybody else. I know the SAAMI is .223 only and bit more acurate. But what is the Wylde chamber and how is it different from a standard 5.56 milspec chamber. Advantages, disadvantages? anybody know?
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Just FYI-
The RRA M4 barrels are chambered for 5.56. The other barrels are chambered for the .223 wylde, which can handle 5.56 ammo without any problems.

Back to the task at hand, I think the RRA is the better rifle. I have been more than happy with my M4gery! The only problem is I don't get to shoot it enough!
B9
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#5]
As far as I know, RRA uses the same components as Colt and Bushmaster, from Continetal Machine.  Oly makes their own stuff.

I keep hearing that RRA sure knows how to assemble a rifle. Oly doesn't do chrome lined barrels, RRA does.

I prefer Oly's, but if I was going to buy anything else, I'd go RRA.

The SUM (Stainless Ultra Match) barrels from Oly are SAAMI, they are broach cut with tight chambers, 4 lands/gooves target barrels with a 1:10 twist (1:8 optional).

All their chrome moly barrels NATO compatible.

Oly gives you the option of ordering a full blown custom setup (to customer-supplied specs) with MaxHard receivers, BlakTac armored bolt carrier assemblies, Ace Stocks, FIRSH rail handguards, fluted barrels or M4 contour, alternate calibers and a variety of bells and whistles. I spend the weekend playing with Oly's latest toys and what little publicity there is doesn't really do the construction or finishes justice.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The SUM (Stainless Ultra Match) barrels from Oly are SAAMI, they are broach cut with tight chambers, 4 lands/gooves target barrels with a 1:10 twist (1:8 optional).
View Quote

I find it odd ANYONE would make anything called a match barrel with a 1:10 twist. 1:10 will barely stabilize a 69gr bullet... which is what most match shooters use at 200-300 yards and definately won't stabilize the 80gr bullets they use for 600 yards.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:05:40 AM EDT
[#7]
My post ban Oly can take anything I put in it.

It's not my favorite, but it works great.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 4:46:09 AM EDT
[#8]
you want to match the twist ratio with the correct bullet weight for best accuracy. 1-10 is good if you are using 50 grain.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:13:49 AM EDT
[#9]
RRA if it was me over the Oly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:21:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Know it isn't on your list, but should you entertain the idea of going to the heavier weighted bullets and especially the new Nosler 77grn. OTM bullet you'll want a faster than 1/9 twist on your 16" M4. (It's worth checking out the "77 OTM" thread on velocity and fragmentation tests of this round in the "Ammunition Forum" by Tatjana)

CMMG on the EE sells the DPMS 1/7 twist 16" M4, which will maximized the use of heavier weight bullets, I'd consider it......

If ya can only have one, this might just be the ONE ya may want.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
After lurking for quite a while I finnally got enough funds together to buy an M4--specifically, 16" barrel, CAR handgaurds, flatop and A2 buttstock.
Had my mind made up on a RR version after having saw one at a match but a local dealer showed me a Oly CAR m4 which felt nice and had a decent stock trigger priced about $100 less.
My questions are:
--Is the Oly capable of shooting 5.56 ammo or is this a .223 rifle? There were no markings on the lower although the dealer said he thought it would shoot both.

--The RR can be chrome lined, the Oly not; would you exclude the Oly on this reason?

--The RR tac carry handle, I like the design, will this fit on any AR flattop?

--Any other major differences between the tow?
Thanks for any help.
View Quote

Don't forget the OLY is stainless steel, which essentially negates the need for chrome. It is chambered for 5.56 but will shoot both. I have a new Oly M4 and love it. It doesn't have the flatop with handle, but you could probably deal with them to get the options you want. This is a real tight rifle, comes with the Blacktec bolt and carrier. This is my 2nd Oly, would buy another in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#12]
RRA Illinois need the $$$. Yes the tactical carry handle will fit flat top uppers from other companies, but Im really happy with my RRA m4 clone.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:37:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the Wylde chamber in a RRA Varminter. It work great, I get 1.5 moa out of 3131Q and .5 MOA out of 75 grain and 69 grain handloads.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:03:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the info and replies; tow more questions:

1) Which magazine, USGI or Orlite
2) Which reddot, Eotech, Oko, or HA??
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:05:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info and replies; two more questions:

1) Which magazine, USGI or Orlite
2) Which reddot, Eotech, Oko, or HA??
View Quote

USGI mags, and EOTech.....

Mike
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#16]
USGI is the only choice fo me. I also prefer the M2 aim point but it all comes down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#17]
CHECK WITH PETE AT LEGAL TRANSFERS HIS PRICES ARE GREAT AND HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING WITH THE BLACK RIFLE .HE HAS WHAT YOU WANT .GET THE NM TRIGGER ,IT'S LIGHT SMOOTH AND CRISP .
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll second that, Pete at Legal transfers for your RRA. And get the N.M. trigger it is SWEET!!!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Don't forget the OLY is stainless steel, which essentially negates the need for chrome.  
View Quote

I respectfully disagree. Oly has a full line of Steel as well as stainless steel barrels.
They have match grade barrels in both types of steel :-)
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:55:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget the OLY is stainless steel, which essentially negates the need for chrome.  
View Quote

I respectfully disagree. Oly has a full line of Steel as well as stainless steel barrels.
They have match grade barrels in both types of steel :-)
View Quote

DR,

Which are you disagreeing about ?

1) Are you disareeing about Oly selling ONLY SS barrels ?

OR

2) Are you disagreeing that SS negates the need for chrome ?  If this is the case, can you please explain why ?  I have been thinking about getting a SS barrel.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I was disagreeing about Oly only selling SS barrels. Mine is steel. I'm sure SS is better for match shooting.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:28:10 AM EDT
[#22]
I would go with the usgi mags and the eotech,,, had a 510 eotech,,, and now i have owned two eotech 552's for the last year in a half,,, they are excellent,, and have the nv option as well.................

[50]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was disagreeing about Oly only selling SS barrels. Mine is steel. I'm sure SS is better for match shooting.
View Quote

Never said Oly only sold stainless, meant the Oly M4 comes with stainless. They do, however, sell both chrome moly and SS. The SS is resistant to corrosion and harder than regular steel, and would provide much the same benefit as chrome without the slight degradation in accuracy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top