Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2003 7:32:03 PM EDT
For anyone interested there's an article in the Sept. 20th issue (full color)of Shotgun News on the new 6.5mm Grendel AR from Alexander Arms.  Capable of driving a 123 Lapua Scenar at 2,616 fps and toss them into 1.75" at 300 it looks pretty interesting.  More so when you consider it has the same trajectory as a 175 gr .308 Matchking launched at 2,650 fps but with less wind drift.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 10:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Are they going to release it to the civilian market?  If so what is the price?
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Still interested in knowing what the hell they are going to do for quality magazines.

If it's got a case taper anything close to that of the 7.62x39mm case it will require a much changed magazing curvature.

Essentially the round is a 6.5 PPC with a proprietary name from what I've gleaned off various forums.    I love the PPC line and if good magazines can be developed and make the cartridge feed reliably, GOOD!   I'm all for it, I desperately want a 6mm or even 6.5mm PPC.

The Scenars bullets, talk about a flighty bullet.   There are people out there shooting the Lapua Scenars in 308winchesters and getting them to track for the balistic cams that match the 190grn SierraMatch Kings from a 300WinMag at 2900fps!   Pretty sure it's the Scenars in the 165grn range being loaded kinda hot in the 308Winchester, but still that's impressive balistic properties with some serious aerodynamics.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#3]
This is not like the 6.?xIcan'tspeakaboutit, the 6.5 Grendel will be released to the general public at the 2004 SHOT Show in February.  Flat top uppers with freefloated Lothar Walther Match barrels will be around $1000.00.  Brass, dies, factory loaded ammo will all be available on a regular production basis.  Magazines are dedicated 6.5 Grendel magazines made specifically for this application.  10 rounds for civilian sales and 25 rounds for LE, if the ban goes away 25 rounders across the board.  Could existing hi-cap mags be modified to feed?  I don't know.  Even when stoked with 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips it's all over a .223 with 77/80 gr Match bullets.  I have no ties to this company, just think it's a cool cartridge after shooting it.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Gunwritr,

I enjoyed your article in Shotgun News.  I picked it up and read it yesterday.  This seems like a real winner for the accuracy/distance crowd.  There wasn't much talk about the terminal ballistics of this new round.  Realizing that bullet design is critical to performance, I am wondering what to expect from this new cartridge.  Will this cartridge rely on yaw/framentation or will it use controlled expansion?  Without one of these, it is only a little faster than the 7.62x39 which isn't known for its great terminal performace (in its FMJ configuration).
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#5]
It depends on what it's topped with.  Driving a 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip you'll have expansion.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#6]
any word if they will be selling components, so we can build our own uppers?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top