Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2003 5:52:18 PM EDT
Are these legal on post ban AR's?What's the general thought on these,waste of $(+ the added weight)or what?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#1]
except where baned by state law (I think Cali is one example) you can have a flare launcher on your AR.

Personally I can't see a use for one, BUT I will eventually build a 20 rifle WITH one just for the C.D.I. factor. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to check out http://www.37mm.com. Some people are really into using launchers and reloading. Some guys even made some high-low pressure rounds to sound like 40mm launchers, because they sound like a cannon otherwise.

Most common projectiles are bird bombs (basically a launchable m80, obey powder regulations) and film canisters filled with sand.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're LEO or military, you can get the fun rounds for it, rubber slugs and buckshot, CS/CN, ect.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, I have had my eye on a new project involving the 37mm too.  I found a good link.

[url]http://www.fire-balls.com/catalog.asp?display=3[/url]  Please let me know if you have purchased from this place.

Pics would help.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been kickin' around the idea of getting a 37mm launcher to shoot parachute flares but dang, did you see the price of those babies.   $20 bucks a pop and they are out of stock to boot.   And what's up with the Distructive Device tag for non-lethal stuff like bean bags and rubber bullets?   Also, in a SHTF type of deal could you use a 12ga. adapter to shoot 12ga. shells or is the "flare launcher" action too weak for that?  Talk to ya' later.   TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been kickin' around the idea of getting a 37mm launcher to shoot parachute flares but dang, did you see the price of those babies.   $20 bucks a pop and they are out of stock to boot.   And what's up with the Distructive Device tag for non-lethal stuff like bean bags and rubber bullets?   Also, in a SHTF type of deal could you use a 12ga. adapter to shoot 12ga. shells or is the "flare launcher" action too weak for that?  Talk to ya' later.   TN.Frank
View Quote

Shoot a regular 12g shell and say bye bye to your hands. Even if it was strong enough, you have to register as a DD because its a short barrel shotgun.

37mm isn't for every one, if you can't stand the rules for what you can launch, then I'd avoid it. And like I said, most reload there 37mm as opposed to buying shells. Thats a big part of the hobby.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I also noticed they were using black powder to reload em' with so I guess that should have clued me as to the low pressure they operate at.   I still think parachute flares would come in handy in a SHTF situation to light up an area.   Can you reload them or are they strictly a buy off the shelf deal?  
 I also found a place here in TN. that has them for sale for only $145.00 w/mounts, there in Shotgun News.   Add in the sight, $20 and the upper handguard, $47 and I could get into one for about $225, that's not too bad and the "cool" factor would be way up there.   I wonder if they make the upper handguards in green to match the rest of my AR fuinture?  Talk at ya'll later. TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I havent heard of any one reloading flares, as most people fire bird bombs or inert projectiles such as wood dummy rounds or whatever fits into the shell.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top