Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2003 5:10:15 PM EDT
I have just acquired a hard chromed M16 bolt and carrier, and want to get info as to how Colt marked these, if at all.

Now I know that the first, Air Force contract, uppers and barrels had no Colt ID on them; just the "MP" mark on the barrel and the little square and triangle proof test marks ahead of the ejection port on the upper.  Since Colt was the only maker of the rifle at the time, and using only one forge, they had no need to ID these parts with a "C".  I'm wondering if the same thing happened with the bolts and carriers.

The carrier is unmarked, but the key is staked on the carrier with the same single punch mark on each screw, in the center of the key; just like I've seen on other early Colt pieces.  The bolt, rather than the CMP on later units has only an "M" in that spot.

Any thoughts on the subject???
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to this link:  [url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts/boltgenesis.html[/url]

It shows some of the early vs late variations

Thomas
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Go to this link:  [url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts/boltgenesis.html[/url]

It shows some of the early vs late variations

Thomas
View Quote

Thomas,

Thanks for the reminder[:D]  In recent months, I'd about given up on Bigger Hammer, because their info on later models, especially the aftermarket, is so spotty. But for early Colt stuff, they do have good info----and there was the pic of the bolt with the "M" on it.  Unfortunately, the chrome carrier pic shows only the right side, so I still don't know if they put a "C" on the early carriers.

Hopefully someone else on the board has the answer[:D]

Again, thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The one I traded you is a real early M16 bolt. I don't think started marking them until Uncle Sam subbed them out to other companies during the weapons build up in the early '60s.  I was going to use it in a Colt 607 carbine, with the slab-sided upper, 10.5" barrel, cut off moderator, and the early full-size shaped carbine stock. Of course, now that I sold it all, WA Tom on Bower's Board is making the stocks again.  Typical my luck.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd about given up on Bigger Hammer
View Quote

Sorry Shamayim that I can't answer your tech question, but wanted to say that I too agree about BiggerHammer lately.   There is a wealth of info, but a lot of holes too in that website (i.e. upper receiver markings).  Fortunately, members here usually can fill in the blanks.  Good luck-
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top