Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2003 4:00:11 AM EDT
First off, thanks for looking

I have two preban Colt 6601 HBARs that have sear blocks. The bolt carriers on both guns are completely cut out at the bottom, unlike most of the carriers I see on the market. I presume they are cut to clear the sear block.

Is there an advantage for me to remove it? I was thinking that the wraparound carriers might be more durable than what I have. Is this really an issue though, or am I looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?

Lastly, if removing the block is a good idea is this a DIY job or should I look for a smith? I've got a set of punches and a Dremel tool so I should have what I need to do it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:16:31 AM EDT
[#1]
The advantage to removing it would be for adding a match trigger, or for a RDIAS. Some match triggers won't fit with the block, and an RDIAS won't fit either. As far as removal, if you are a handy guy I don't see why you couldn't do it if you are very careful. There was a posted instruction on how to do it using 'hydraulics.' I wanted to try it for myself but another member had bad luck using that method so I passed because it was not my weapon. I didn't want to chance causing any damage to a Colt preban reciever. I would probably try it on my own weapon if I had one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:23:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I think I would have to if I had such a Colt. It's one of the reasons why I'll probably get a Colt of that era.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Most pistol caliber conversion uppers that are blow-back operated require the use of weighted carriers, and cannot be cut to acommodate the Stupid Colts receiver block.

By all means, mill that thing off so that you can use standard GI (read:stronger) bolt carriers that don't have to be cut off on the bottom.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies guys. Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to do it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#5]
an m16 bolt carrier will NOT work with the sear block

an ar-15 bolt carrier WILL work with the sear block

the only reason the bolt carrier is cut is so you coulnt use a lightning link type device to go full auto...............
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#6]
CJan_NH,
I have the exact same rifle as you do.  The block is in there for two reasons.  1) To prevent the use of an autosear of some sort and 2) to prevent the use of an M16 bolt carrier not a standard AR15 carrier.  There is a slight difference.  I have a postban bushy that fits on my 6601 lower and functions fine with the standard AR15 carrier.

On a side note what is the sear block and the pin that holds it in place made from?  I'm in the process of stripping the original anodizing off of my lower and plan to re-anodize it a different color soon.  As some of you might know anodizing can only be accomplished on aluminum.  If the block and pin are made from steel then it will have to be removed before I can re-anodize.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
First off, thanks for looking [:)]

I have two preban Colt 6601 HBARs that have sear blocks. The bolt carriers on both guns are completely cut out at the bottom, unlike most of the carriers I see on the market. I presume they are cut to clear the sear block.

Is there an advantage for me to remove it? I was thinking that the wraparound carriers might be more durable than what I have. Is this really an issue though, or am I looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?

Lastly, if removing the block is a good idea is this a DIY job or should I look for a smith? I've got a set of punches and a Dremel tool so I should have what I need to do it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
View Quote

No reason to remove it. Since the 6601s also have large pin FC parts, you cannot easily use a RDIAS or Match Trigger. I guess if you had a RLL you could, but it seems to me the easiest option is to just get a Bushmaster lower.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
an m16 bolt carrier will NOT work with the sear block

an ar-15 bolt carrier WILL work with the sear block

the only reason the bolt carrier is cut is so you coulnt use a lightning link type device to go full auto...............
View Quote

Oh. If a standard garden variety AR15 carrier will work with the block then I don't care about removing it. If I ever get into NFA I'll buy something else to convert.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There was a posted instruction on how to do it using 'hydraulics.' I wanted to try it for myself but another member had bad luck using that method so I passed because it was not my weapon.
View Quote

I tried the hydraulic method and thought it sucked. It certainly didn't work. I wound up removing that sear block through careful and judicious use of a Dremel tool equipped with a fiber cutoff wheel.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oh. If a standard garden variety AR15 carrier will work with the block then I don't care about removing it. If I ever get into NFA I'll buy something else to convert.

Thanks for the info.
View Quote

Then you have nothing to worry about. This subjecy was discussed not too long ago. Here's a photo I took showing the non-interaction between a standard AR15 bolt carrier and a Colt sear block:

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15199[/img]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice pic Boomer, I couldn't remember who it was at first but it was you who posted about undergoing some problems using the hydraulic removal technique.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Boomer
View Quote

Thanks for the pic Boomer.

BTW, where did you get that carrier?
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 1:36:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Out of a green label Colt.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Out of a green label Colt.
View Quote

Ahhh. Both of my HBARs are circa 1991. I think that makes then blue label.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Check out biggerhammer.  They have a pretty nice listing of colt variants by label color.  The Blue boxes are all lug bobbed but include rifles with and without mag fences, blocks, large/small front pivot, and large/small fire control pins.   How long and how many wheels does it take to demel out the block?  RW
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top