Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/11/2003 3:37:03 PM EDT

Does anyone have any experience with the Bushmaster superlight 16'' barrel?  I'm considering either a m4 profile barrel or a superlight.  How do they compare in terms of durability, accuracy, weight, etc?

I've heard that they (the superlights) heat up pretty quick and can warp/bend pretty easily...old wives tale or fact?

The build is for my girlfriend so lightweight is important but I don't want something that won't last either.

Thanks for any imput.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Bushy Lightweight cabine. The barrel does get pretty hot but being fairly new to ARs i don't have anything to compare it to. After about 60 rounds put through at a steady pace the barrel is too hot to hold onto. Don't know if this helps much, but it's my two cents.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p6b36b80306374167922aa84d9cd3f668/fc4790e3.jpg[/img]

I have the superlight here on my Franken-AR. it is okay, It does heat up fast, and im talkin one full mag of rapid fire. The warping barrel thing is sorta myth, ya would have to have your arm really pullin on the sling (if attached to barrel) and basically be shooting full auto, Under normal condition, i would find it doubtful. There will always be some sort of accuracy diff. between hot and cold barrel, but it may only be off 1/2- 1" +/-, ya should still be able to hit your target (this isnt a match grade barrel, dont treat it that way) Im happy if i can hit a pie plate at 100yards, that is all i need this rifle for, nuttin else.

But in all honestly, I am plannin on changing this barrel once its all shot out, I am goin to have a custom barrel that is FAT under the handguards and thin all the way out.

On a superlight barrel, ya feel the weight of the muzzle break, my rifle is in the 5.5lb category, so every OZ. i add , i can feel.

Its a good chrome lined , 5.56 barrel. but i think i can have something alil more suited to my personal taste.

Also, i have a Bushy Dissapator model, and im not sure what is under the handguards, but it doesnt begin to get hot unless i have 3mags through it, and it cools off really well, the superlight does NOT cool off quickly IMO.

My setup if light and easy to flick around if needed, easy to handle. Also ya cant go wronge with Bushmaster, they the top of MY list of companies to go with first and foremost.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't shot mine much, good news is that my wife likes it, bad news is it recoils quite a bit and needs a compensator (for fast follow-up shots).
Die-tryin: cool carbine. Where did the muzzle brake come from?
Thanks, TomB
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 11:16:36 PM EDT
[#4]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=17021[/img]

Nice and light.  Don't forget, the original AR-15/M16 barrels were profiled like this.  I wouldn't worry about bending.  If you heat it up really hot, then really torque on it, your POI may change, but then you are always subject to that even with a FF setup.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 4:39:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a superlite, no muzzle device. Super piece of equipment. Mine is a bushmaster factory assembled A-1 type upper on a eagle arms lower. This is a good setup. It does heat up faster than my 16" hbar, but I am growing fonder of the lightweight carbine. Less can be more and for my needs in a carbine, this is a good combo.

I wish I knew how to post a photo. I would do so.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top