Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2003 7:00:31 AM EDT
I've been into handguns for a while now, but the only rifle I've owned is an old Brittish .303 bolt action Enfield.

Anyway I'd like to get a real "Homeland Security" rifle. It will mostly be for fun at the range.  

I ran accross a new range/gunshop in my area and they are also a custom AR shop.  The guy is very honest and seems to do quality work.

I shot ~60 rounds through one of his custom full-auto ARs and it performed flawlessly.  I also handled a couple of his other rifles, and based on my custom 1911 experience they seemed to have very good "fit & finish."

Anyway, he uses mostly DPMS parts on all of his rifles.  I've heard that DPMS parts are good quality with 2 basic complaints.  The first being that they don't chrome line their barrels,which I've heard makes cleanup easier, but can make a given barrel less accurate. The second is that their lowers are cast rather than forged or milled, which some say is really a non-issue because their is little stress on the lower.  Any comments on these parts?

His basic rifle (The one I would get) starts at $695 with either a pinned tele-stock or a standard fiberglass stock, 16" match grade barrel w/ Fabian muzzel brake and "neutered" bayonette lug.  It looks pretty much like the rifle at upper left of the screen, over the "AR15.com" logo.

This price seems to be on par with comparable rifles with the exeption that he can customize it with whatever parts I want, some at no additional cost. Also, I'd really prefer to buy from him because he is local and I know he'd stand behind his product.  The times that I've shot at his range he's always thrown in and extra box of ammo or a free range fee, etc.

Is there any reason I should look elsewhere?

Thanks,
 Jeff
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Believe I'd [b]have[/b] to deal w/ a guy that allows me to test drive the AR I might purchase and price seems reasonable too....

Sounds like a dream come true, expect everyone would like such a deal.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Go for it!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:44:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy it.

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:50:59 AM EDT
[#4]
You could save about $150 bucks if you build your own. Wholesale Guns & Ammo has nice lowers for $88.99 each and if ya' get two you'd get free shipping.  Model 1 Sales has parts kits starting at $400.00, so for about $525.00 you could build one and use the money saved for mags,ammo, ect.   Plus, you have the pride in knowing that you built it and you'd know how to replace parts if the need arised.  It's not that hard, just get the U.S.M.C. tech. manual and you'll be off in a flash.    If you get a chance look up Model 1's web site and you'll see all the options you have.  Talk to ya' later.  TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:51:49 AM EDT
[#5]
jeff, I'd have to say go for it. [:)]

TG
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#6]
i'd say do it, sounds like a good deal (and a good guy to support)
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy it!  Forget building your own IMHO.  You are better off having bought it from a vendor you like who you can go back to if something is wrong.  Sounds like the guy is a stand up person, he let you try b4 you bought, being a sales person myself I would feel obliged to do business with someone who offered that kind of service with a very competitive price.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't doubt that this dealer is a nice guy. But heck, an AR-15 is just about one of the simplest firearms to put together on the planet.  They've been making this rifle for so long that they've got all the specs. down pat.  Everything, for the most part, is a "drop in" , the upper is fully assembled and head spaced for you from Model 1, all you have to do is put the lower together.  If it worth $150 bucks to have the lower put together then go for it, buy the gun already put together. On the other hand if money is tight(like it always is for me) then save some cash, pick up a good forged lower from Wholesale Gun, order a parts kit and don't look back.  Anyone can go out and buy an gun, it's more fun to say you put it together yourself.   It's your money, spend it however you want but remember, you could get 10, pre-ban 30rnd mags for that $150.   Talk at ya'll later.   TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 9:42:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I just purchased my first AR-15 and I believe it is the same one you are looking at. I have had the rifle for about 1 month now and so far have enjoyed it without any complaints.
[img]http://www.hublan.com/hunt/ar15-2.jpg[/img]

I say go for it and have some fun
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#10]

I would definetly buy that rifle!

Buy the first whole rifle, then the next few AR's you can build since you will be thoroughly well versed in the AR's.

I bought my first complete rifle and am in the process of building a few more. There is no way I could have built one before having time with a complete one.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Go for it!  $695 is a good price for an AR, especially if the guy is gonna back it up if it malfunctions.  

BTW, does the guy have a website[;)]?
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Go for it!  $695 is a good price for an AR, especially if the guy is gonna back it up if it malfunctions.  

View Quote

Yeah, but it's not that great:

http://www.redjacketfirearms.com

BTW he's in Baton Rouge, LA.  If anyone in that area is looking for a nice indoor range check them out on Choctaw.

I've only been a couple of times, but it's very nice and the owners have gone out of their way both times to ensure me and my guests had a good time.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, but it's not that great:

http://www.redjacketfirearms.com

BTW he's in Baton Rouge, LA.  If anyone in that area is looking for a nice indoor range check them out on Choctaw.

I've only been a couple of times, but it's very nice and the owners have gone out of their way both times to ensure me and my guests had a good time.
View Quote

Awesome! This place is an ideal "Funshop" as the owners are excited about firearms and having a good time the right way.

They did a FFL trade for me or 2: for a 9mm pistol and a F.A. AR-15.

Great shop and quite knowledgeable.

Double Thumbs up from me.

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#14]
AIM has bushmaster a2 for $699.00 new in a hard case 5150,chrome lined barrel and chamber all mil spec great fit and finish .get an ffl to do a transfer for $20.00 or so and party .That would make a great first or tenth ar and bushmaster quality is tops ask anyone.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top