Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2003 6:15:02 PM EDT
If you would'nt clean your chrome bumper on an '03 Silverado with a brass brush , why would it be safe on a chrome bore ?
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
double post
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you would'nt clean your chrome bumper on an '03 Silverado with a brass brush , why would it be safe on a chrome bore ?
View Quote

------

One doesn't have to get powder and copper fouling off of a chrome bumper, and between the rifling groves.

You can leave it, or only clean with a nylon brush or no solvent, but your accuracy will suffer.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Chroming a bumper is different from the process used to chrome a chamber and bore.Its not as delicate as on a car.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm just trying to ask , will it scratch the bore the same as your bumper ? Don't give me any more smartass answers if you can't give useful information . If you can't run with the civil people , stay inbred .
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm just trying to ask , will it scratch the bore the same as your bumper ? Don't give me any more smartass answers if you can't give useful information . If you can't run with the civil people , stay inbred .
View Quote

------

It certainly doesn't scratch the bore anymore than a bunch of 3000+ fps copper jacketed bullets.

What in your opinion is being smartass about answering your question?

To understand the differences between auto bumpers and rifle barrels, one must be willing to acknowledge the differences between auto bumpers and rifle barrels and what one is trying to accomplish when they clean each of them.

I'm sorry if that offends your civilities, but it's not really my problem.

If you want a museum piece, by all means have one.

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#6]
The bottom line is that the chrome on the bumper is nothing like the chrome lining of a rifle barrel.  The barrel is plated with hard industrial chrome.  It doesn't shine like the decorative chrome on your bumper; and it's many times harder on the surface than the chrome on the bumper.  Using a brass, or even soft steel, brush on a hard chromed bore won't begin to touch the surface, which is many times harder than the metal bristles.

BTW, I thought that the first answers, while not complete, were quite respectful. You, sir, might consider taking a bit cooler stand with those who are trying to answer a question; a question which indicates that you don't know a whole lot about firearm design or manufacture.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top