AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2003 1:23:33 PM EDT
If so,what do you think of them?

http://www.sogarmory.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=101879

TG
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
[IMG]http://www.sogarmory.com/ProductImages/1040_3.jpg[/IMG]

I put one on my Bushy, it has held up so far.

I dimpled the barrel with a dremel where the screws clap on to the barrel.  So far it has been ok, I just wanted something to help protect the crown on the muzzle.

I don't know if I would do it again though because it made my Bushy very LOUD when firing it.  You will definately notice a difference.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I have it, I liked the way it looked, but the set screws kept vibrating out, and I had to constantly re-tighten. despite loctite. I am having a Cav comp brake threaded and permanently pinned right at K2 Sports Tactical right now, because I got tired of messing with it. The dimpling might help, I didn't try that.

I use Lake Ciy XM193 ball, which produces quite a blast, so that probably didn't help any.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Cableman, that why I wanted one, to help protect the muzzle crown, also to have the GI look.
I will use super glue in the threads. [:D]

DR,do you still have this brake?

Thanks for the replies.  [:)]

TG

Link Posted: 9/10/2003 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't use superglue - I used Red Locktite and it has held on so far.  If you ever need to get it off, you can take a torch to the red locktite and it will loosen up - I don't think you will ever get it off it you use superglue.

If I was doing it again, I would spread some red locktite all around the barrel end and then slide the muzzle brake over the barrel which was covered with locktite.  I think it may help a little.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks again Cableman, I will take you advice. [:)] I called, she said it would be shipped tomorrow.

If properly installed, it should stay on. [8D]

TG
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[:D]

DR,do you still have this brake?

[:)]

TG

View Quote

It was still on the rifle when I brought it to the gunsmith because the first time it vibrated loose, a bullet nicked the edge of the aperture and when it pulled it to one side, it may have burred the muzzle "ridge" Olympic ARs have to help hold the set screw brakes on. I didn't want to force it so I tightened it up and dremeled the opening about 1mm around. I didn't have any contact problem on subsequent trips to range, but I had to tighten it about every 200-300 rounds.

I told the  gunsmith to cut it off if it wouldn't come off easily, but if it comes off in good shape, you are welcome to it if you want it. I can weigh it and if you send me a postage paid envelope it's yours. I should know by Friday or Monday as that's when I pick it up.

I'm done with set screw muzzle brakes, I'm afraid.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top