Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2003 3:33:57 PM EDT
I was wondering what was the difference between an upper in 50 Beo or even .458 Soc and a regular plain vanilla 5.56?

Seem to me, just get a barrel and a bolt carrier....But I am often wrong.

Thx
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#1]
That's pretty much all you have to change out of an AR 15 and the different calibers that it can fire, The barrel and the bolt/blot carrier.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Ejection port needs to be opened up a little to facilitate disposing of spent shells.

Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:14:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Feed ramp on the barrel extension, otherwise pretty much off-the-shelf components.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the bolt carrier is the standard fare for the M16 if you have F/A or AR15 if you have semi.  No mods.....

The bolt is unique in all of them.

IIRC, the Beowulf uses a 7.26x39 bolt unmodified, but I could be wrong on that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Ed, you are correct as usual.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info...so if I get straight...

I can get the case dimensions and specs of a 50 Beowulf cartridge have my AR shop over here chamber me a bull barrel blank for it.
Have them put a feed ramp in it and enlarge the ejection port a bit.

Using a 7.62 x 39 mm bolt/carrier, and mill off the feed lips of a mag a little, and I have my home grown 50 Beo for like $400.

Just a thought...
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#7]
You would need a reamer and head space gauges.  Best I know, those are proprietary.  You can reverse engineer ... but it will be costly.

Alexander Arms shows trademark on the Beowulf (altough not REGISTERED trademark).  Likely they would pursue legal recourse if they got word AND you called it a 50 Beowulf.  Similar to SSK and the 300 Whisper - it is a registered trademark, so you can't chamber a rifle in that round, but call it a 300/221 Fireball and you just got around it... but you still need custom reamers ... those are costly

Also, the ejection port will indeed need opening and you will have to know the proper size and location of the gas port to make it cycle ... that latter part is a closely gaurded secret ...
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh well, just a thought...
Guess I will just wait till I see one on equipment exchange.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#9]
There was a place that was chambering bolt guns for the .50 Beowulf. Do a search and it should come up. Unless you need a bull barrel it would be cheaper to buy an upper off the shelf. If you go the custom route you could call it .50 Boudreaux.[wave]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top