Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2003 10:43:06 AM EDT
Im thinking of buying an AR15. Last ones I owned were all prebans many years ago and it seems like I always had problems with them. Im more of an AK guy. I think I should have an AR just for the ammo availability. Whos makes the best cheapest Ar 15 out there, I like the CAR models with the non collapsible stocks. Ive looked at the Olympic Arms website. I'll have to sell a gun or 2 to get the AR. Any links or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Cheapest one out there will get you the same problems you had before.

Get a Bushmaster or an RRA and GI magazines with green followers and you'll learn to love ARs again [;)]
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Try the Industry section, it has links for all of the manufacturers.
Nothing like a little Internet window shopping to get the facts and prices.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#3]
check equipment exchange or gunbroker.com for your best deals. A freind of mine has the Olympic Arms plinker...works great with good magazines and is one of the least expensive ar's around.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome, OldTroop, to the site.

The cheapest route might be to build an AR.  Kits are available which include everything except the stripped lower receiver.  The lower receiver is the part you’ll need to buy through an FFL (well, it at least must be transferred to you through the FFL) or at a gun show.  

Most of the kits I’ve seen come with completely assembled uppers.  The only part you need to assemble in the lower receiver.  You may choose to buy just the lower receiver parts kit, a stock kit and a complete upper, all separate of each other.

Building a rifle will allow you to buy things a piece at a time (maybe then you can avoid selling another toy to fund this project).  It also allows you to customize everything.

Use good quality parts and you’ll save some money, customize the rifle and have fun doing it.  I like the RRA or Eagle Arms lowers and RRA lower parts kits.  The RRA and Bushmaster uppers are both great.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#5]
man.

you sound like an AK guy.
maybe you should just hug your AK tight and not worry about ARs
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Or maybe an AK or VEPR in .223.

But if you want to take the AR plunge you CAN become a believer (all my ARs work great). There's a lot of really nice advantages to them.

Good to have you. Stick around and you'll see what I mean.

You can also save a few bucks by building up a parts kit (I've built all of mine). It's very easy to do.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Just get a SAR3 and put in a RSA trigger and use a Weiger steel magazine.  Now you can use all the 55 grain surplus 5.56 out there you want and dont have to actually clean your rifle.

Do not get an AR, especially a cheap one, as someone with your mindset will be bitching all the time and we dont really want to hear it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice. I'll check into a little further and see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#9]
build one up using quality parts from the ABC companies.  you won't have to sell a gun to pay for it since you can buy it piece by piece over a period of time.  that way you'll know how to fix your problems too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#10]
[url]http://www.model1sales.com[/url] For your complete kit (minus the receiver) and a local gun shop for your Eagle Arms lower receiver.  You can't go wrong.
[coffee]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top