Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2003 6:38:53 PM EDT
I've heard yes and no. It's set to sunset but I've heard that things can be done to extend it.

Can it? please back up your statement
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#1]
All it takes is mention in any bill that gets signed by the pres and it's a done deal. there are currently two new versions of the bill. The really really bad one, which will never make it out to the light of the congressional floor, the other may stand a chance but only if we allow it to. As writen the 94 bill MUST sunset. So it's not a question of if it sunsets but rather if a new one gets passed. It's our job to make sure our elected officials don't pass a new one. I know this may not be what your looking for but thats the quick down and dirty of the AWB and the attempts to keep it alive, and to kill it for good.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#2]
it can only be replaced if it passes the senate and the house and makes it to the presidents desk to be signed smae with the now ban to be reinstated it would expire and have to go through the whole process all over again.I think anything new introduced will never see the light of day,Its gonna expire and even if bush dosent get reelected the new president can only sign into law what comes past his desk.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
All it takes is mention in any bill that gets signed by the pres and it's a done deal. there are currently two new versions of the bill. The really really bad one, which will never make it out to the light of the congressional floor, the other may stand a chance but only if we allow it to. As writen the 94 bill MUST sunset. So it's not a question of if it sunsets but rather if a new one gets passed. It's our job to make sure our elected officials don't pass a new one. I know this may not be what your looking for but thats the quick down and dirty of the AWB and the attempts to keep it alive, and to kill it for good.
View Quote

I know it can be replaced or just let to sunset, but I've also heard it can be extended.

If it is extended that means what are prebans now are still prebans and what are postbans now are still postbans.

If it is replaced that means what are prebans now are still prebans but so are postbans if you go ahead and add the evil features after the current ban sunsets and before the new ban takes place.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The question is, have you prepared accordingly?
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The question is, have you prepared accordingly?
View Quote

saving for a preban lower as we speak, I have a year to get the money. I feel as though I am 'set'.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've heard yes and no. It's set to sunset but I've heard that things can be done to extend it.

Can it? please back up your statement
View Quote

As a matter of governing authority, the federal legislature has the power to extend any time limited law they have passed, or to remove the sunset clause, as long as it is amended before the actual sunset date/time. However, they are very unlikely to try to resurrect a law that has sunsetted, there is no precedent for this, and that would be is arguably unconstitutional.

More likely, if the AWB was allowed to expire, there would be a "golden hour" before a new, more restrictive law was passed. This is the scenario I foresee. It may be a period of 24 hours, months or years, but given the current climate, it is my belief that there will at least be a strong attempt to ban all military style weapons without so-called "sporting suitability" whatever that means. Many anti-gun legislators actually want the original AWB to be replaced with stricter regulations since the AWB was largely ineffective at anything but spoiling the fun of law abiding collectors of military style firearms.

So the short answer is, yes, if it is amended before it sunsets. All it takes is a majority vote in the house and senate, and the presidents signature. In an election year, given the predictable vote-mongering disposition of our career politicans, I'd say it is possible at the very least. GWB has already said he would sign it.  

Since more deaths occur annually from irresponsible and criminal driving than irresponsible and criminal firearm abuse, maybe we should push to have all automobiles banned as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 4:14:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's one I wrote to a anti-gun pos once....

I'm a gun owner and damned proud of it! The anti-gunners will never stop fighting for the total ban, and removal of all evil assault weapons. Well, let's give them a victory by eliminating one of these terrible weapons. This assault weapon has no use in public society. Since it is the most violent, and destructive weapon found on our streets today. This assault weapon:

Has killed innocent men, women, and children, than any other assault pistol, rifle, or shotgun.

Is so powerful, that it can cause severe loss of life, and  damage to houses, and buildings.

You do not need a license to buy one in most states.

Can be bought, and sold in any town, or city relative cheap.

Are considered a weapon of choice by bank robbers, and most suicide terrorist groups around the world.

Are stolen by criminals about one every 20 seconds on average, in the U.S.A., and then usually used in a crime, after they have been stolen.

Are currently still manufactured by major companies around the world.

So as you can see, even though I do support the right to own guns, I think you'll agree we should ban all ownership, use, and manufacture of these weapons. So let's tell the anti-gunners we will gladly support the ban of this devistating assault weapon,.......................
The automobile.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top