Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2003 1:10:14 PM EDT
I need opinions on a couple of rifles I saw today at a small gunshow in town.

The first rifle was a Colt SP1 with two magazines stamped, "Colt AR15". Condition of the rifle was at least 93% Price $1100

The second rifle was a Springfield Armory pre-ban M1A, .308 caliber w/ wood stock, flash hider, bayonet lug and 2ea. magazines. The condition of this rifle was 95%+. Price $1100
I was hoping someone here knows something about the values of M1A's.
Good deals..bad...or so,so?
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]
That may be a little high on the SP1, but it isn't terrible, considering that you would pay close to that for a new post-ban Colt.

That is a pretty decent deal on the M1A.  Just make sure the s/n is below 84000, as I believe that is the cutoff for pre-bans.  The magazines usually go for $35-50.  A new post-ban M1A will easily cost you $1100 or more, so I'd snag it if you're wanting one.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a pretty good deal on a pre-ban M1A. If you're in the market for one, they don't get much cheaper than that...I'd buy it.

Don't know much about SP1's...sorry.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The mags that come with the SP-1...  Are they all black with black followers?  Is the "Colt AR15" stamping all by itself (no Colt horse logo)?

If so, avoid them like the black plauge.  I had four when I first bought my Bushmaster, and they *all* caused a malfunction on the last round of the magazine.

Buy the rifle if you must, but don't even bother with the mags...
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#4]
At the funshow today, a fella had two SP1s for $1K out the door.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The SP1 price was better than average, IMO. They usually go for $1200-1300 from what I've seen.

The M1A is kinda BS for the pre-/post-ban. There's NO difference in mags or stock. Oh, I suppose you could put a folder on the pre-ban if you wanted to, but shit, why bother for a .308?

You can get NIB M1As for $1100.

My .o2
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Pre-ban M1A's are considered much better rifles for the most part due to Springfield's use of USGI parts.  My advice to you is to check the rifle (bolt, op rod, trigger assmbly, etc... for the manufacturer. If it's USGI, you've got yourself a really good deal (these things are like tanks & hold up very well). If the parts aren't USGI, at least you can put a bayonet on it!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top