Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2003 11:33:17 AM EDT
The picture in the manual I downloaded is a bit fuzzy....how does it come out?  Do you punch it out with a tool, or pull, or what?  Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I usually pull and turn at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#2]
You use pliers or something because I cannot get my fingers around that pin.  Or is there something else I can use?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#3]
You can leverage the loop of the cotter pin with just about anything.  A pin punch, fingernail, small screwdriver, etc.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]
SO take like a small screwdriver, place it under the pin, and slowly pry up...then it should come out right?  Sorry this is my first time disassembling my rifle.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
SO take like a small screwdriver, place it under the pin, and slowly pry up...then it should come out right?  Sorry this is my first time disassembling my rifle.  Thanks.
View Quote

You got it...
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm...I could not get it that way....just to let you vizualize it...if you are holding the bolt and carrier horizontal...the pin is vertical (perpendicular to it).  In this case should I leverage it from the side?  
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I usually just use whatever small pointy piece of metal I have in my cleaning kit...I have a dental pick that comes in handy for cleaning that I use mostly.

Out on the range Ive used a cartridge tip or my pocket sword.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I got the small tool...but it is what do do with it that has me stumped....This manual I printed up simply has the illustration of someone pulling out the pin.  It is not too helpful.  Thanks in advance for the advice.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Hook it on the looped side of the cotter pin and pull that bad boy straight out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Disregard that last post...I got it out.  I guess the fact that I have never taken it out before (new rifle) was the reason it was tough.  Thanks to all who helped.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I typically simply push it out from the other side with the tip of a ball point pen.

Just be careful you don’t knock the ball out of the pen or the pen will make a real mess in your pocket.  Don’t ask me how I know this!  [:D]

A 1/16th inch punch pin would be just about perfect for this.

You can also grasp the rounded end of the pin with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull it out.  If it’s tight, give it a twist as you pull.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Me personally, I've always had trouble putting the firing pin retaining pin back [b]in[/b]! Every one I've ever had has always spread apart and been a real pain to install. After a little crafting with a pair of pliers, I finally get a finished product that I can work with.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a bullet tip. First I use the tip to push through from the left side, then use the tip to pry it out enough to grab it with my fingers from the right. Getting it back in, just wiggle and twist a little.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#14]
If you have a swiss army knife with an awl on it, that works great for me as well as poking holes in patches to use with the Otis cleaning kit.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah M4Madness...I here ya.  Getting that sucker back in was tough!  My thumbs are gone  [:)]

I finally got it by sticking a small allen wrench next the the firing pin and as the retaining pin came across I applied pressure to it to keep it from expanding out toward the end.  Then it was just a matter of lubing it and pucshing to get it in.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Dental picks work great for this.  I have some in my cleaning kit, and keep 'em handy for pulling the pins out.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The picture in the manual I downloaded is a bit fuzzy....how does it come out?  Do you punch it out with a tool, or pull, or what?  Thanks for the help!
View Quote

------

I pull mine out with the corner of my fingernail.

When putting it back in twist slightly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I press and spin the pin and it always goes in on my Bushmaster but every pin is different and I have had a Colt pin that took an average of ten tries to get in.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Me personally, I've always had trouble putting the firing pin retaining pin back [b]in[/b]! Every one I've ever had has always spread apart and been a real pain to install. After a little crafting with a pair of pliers, I finally get a finished product that I can work with.
View Quote

I too had that problem, and it seems like it's somewhat more common with RRA rifles. Since then, I bought another pin at a gunshow and that one slides in pretty easily. I've never needed special tools with that one.

Otherwise, an awl or other similar thin, pointy tool can be used to help push the ends of the pins together sufficiently to allow it to slip in the opposite hole.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top