Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/6/2003 9:56:46 AM EDT
Just wondering if any of you have any experience with this target? I picked up several in a yard sale for a couple of bucks.  Thought they might be fun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Shoot a bowling ball with an AR15?  How the hell do you get the damn thing in the chamber?

Try this...

[url]www.bcvc.net/old/[/url]

Seriously, I don't know if shooting a bowling ball is such a great idea.  Probably very high potential for ricochet and with the shape of the ball, you'll have very little idea which way it could go.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#2]
[shock]

Is that LarryG36 on the right in his Battle Gear?

[img]http://www.bcvc.net/old/mortar1.jpg[/img]

lol j/k
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Been there, done that.  Make sure you are at least 25 yards away- hopefully farther.  

5.56 and 7.62 took big chunks out of it.  

.50 BMG tore it a new ass- very impressive stuff.  

I bought a $4 ball at Goodwill thrift store, so it was a cheap reactive target.  Makes a damn mess too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#4]
i did but was thrown out of the bowling alley right away.  [:)]
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[shock]

[url]http://www.bcvc.net/old/mortar1.jpg[/url]

lol j/k
View Quote

no that particular camo is in the correct enviroment which obviously indicates its not him.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i did but was thrown out of the bowling alley right away.  [:)]
View Quote

LoL! [:D]
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#7]
We had a Darwin event with a bowling ball mortar at one of the arfcom shoots at Casa Grande this year. Watching everyone scatter and hide under trucks in the parking lot was only funny after the ball came back from space and landed 10 feet in front of the mortar.[grenade]
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We had a Darwin event with a bowling ball mortar at one of the arfcom shoots at Casa Grande this year. Watching everyone scatter and hide under trucks in the parking lot was only funny after the ball came back from space and landed 10 feet in front of the mortar.[grenade]
View Quote

Like the old saying goes: Incoming friendly arty is always more accurate than incoming enemy arty.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was 16 I "borrowed" my dad's 12 gage and headed for the dump with a box of birdshot. I found a bowling ball andd shot it at 15-foot range.
Our family doctor had to remove a pellet from my knee and one from my chest, the one lodged in my forehead fell out by itself.

That was 1976, I still crack up at the stupidity.

Not sure what the 5.56 will do, but personally, I'd only shoot it from far, far away.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#10]
There's a guy around here who shot a bowling ball with his 45, "fastest damn bumble bee I ever saw," or something like that, right before the slug hit him square in the forehead.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
...the one lodged in my forehead fell out by itself...
View Quote

[b]Note to self:[/b] Never use birdshot for self-defense...
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#12]
...against vicious bowling balls??
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
[shock]
View Quote

[ROFL]Can't be Larry, the mortar isn't painted tan.  

As far as bowling balls, they just chip in pieces.  The inside is made of a black cement-like substance.   Nothing really impressive about shooting them; You'd have more fun with just basic bottles and cans.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Depending on the ball's composition, I can very well expect some of them to do a commendable job of acting as a mirror for incoming rounds.  And if you should get something powerful to penetrate deeply, I'd expect the ball to shatter with considerable force, again, depending on the material it's made of.    Hard rubber, old style balls should be the more "reflective" ones, and the newer reactive resin/urethane balls should be the ones that blow up.

Idea coming:  

Know anyone who shoots black powder cannons?  Find his bore diameter, exactly.

Have a machinist turn a bowling ball down to make a cylindrical projectile of the right size for the cannon, and turn the back flat or slightly concave.   Put a nice ogive on it for ballistic reasons.    Have your cannon-shooting buddy load it up and fire it.

Tape the action, and post it here.

CJ
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:38:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Bowling pins yes, bowling balls no. Check this thread out, looks like something somebody here would go for. If it was really accurate, I think I could become the next Tiger Woods. Watching somebody do a 3 foot putt with thing would make the game interesting.

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3624863054&category=36258[/url]
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Live propane tanks, tannerite, APIT at 1/4 gasoline full burried 55gal drums, yes,yes and yes.

BOWLING BALLS?

I ain't gonna' lie. I'M TOO SCURRED!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Yup,
Took a nice 15lb ball to the range and set it infront of the 150yrd berm. 556 took chunks out and spun the ball around, and 762 pushed it pretty high up on the berm, exposing the ball's core. Good stuff, just be sure you set it FAR away.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Yup, done it with a 7mm. The ball cracked into thirds, but didn't fall apart. We pulled it apart after retrieving it and found the bullet lodged about 2/3 of the way through. We took it home and stuck it in our apartment as a conversation piece. (we are all college students, so you can expect us to do stuff like this)
Devin
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bowling pins yes, bowling balls no. Check this thread out, looks like something somebody here would go for. If it was really accurate, I think I could become the next Tiger Woods. Watching somebody do a 3 foot putt with thing would make the game interesting.

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3624863054&category=36258[/url]
View Quote

Well, back to the machine shop....
I'll make mine for tennis balls, Game, Set, Match!
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Anyone who would shoot a bowling ball with an AR15 is some kind of weird Freudian slut.

I mean....balls....round.....penetration....bang!....................whew![whacko]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top