Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2003 6:36:25 PM EDT
I am buying a carbine upper soon and b/c I am short on funds I am going to get it without the bolt assemly and charging handle.  Can I just use the bolt from my 20" bushy upper until I get and one?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not a problem.  You should replace at least the bolt if not the carrier but I've done the same thing more than once.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  The only possible problem you'll have is if the bolt is worn too much then you'll run into headspacing problems, and I'm not talking a few hundred round or even a few thousand rounds.  Ten thousand rounds maybe.  You should be fine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I should be fine then since my bolt and carrier for the bushy have only seen about 750 rounds right?...
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Opinions will vary on this question.

Being on the cautious side myself, I’d recommend you check the headspace if you do this.  Admittedly, it’s not likely to be a problem.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:11:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Use the same bolt carrier, but get a new bolt.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top