Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2003 10:15:44 AM EDT
I was shooting My M4gery this weekend and had 3 FTE's. First was with Wolf 62gr FMJ, this is after 170 without a problem. I removed it with a rod and continued with the Wolf. I fired 90 rounds in rapid aimed fire and no problems. I took a five minute break, then switched to Olympic M-193. Second round failed to extract on first mag. I shot one more 30 rnd mag no problems, and then had one more FTE halfway through the last mag.

The carbine just ran through over 2,000 rounds of M855 no problems. The barrel is a Wilson and not chrome lined. Does this sound like an extractor problem, or does anyone think it might be the barrel? I am going to put in a new Wolf extractor spring and see if it does any good. If that does not help I am thinking about changing the barrel. I have done a search, and didnt see any post with the FTE's so far apart. It seems like they usually happen every 20 rounds or so. Any help would be apperciated.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 10:53:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the extractor slipping off the cartridge rim or is the rim being ripped off?

Double check your extractor to make sure it's not chipped or broken.

I think adding the Wolff extra power extractor spring is a good idea but your chamber could also be too tight or not 5.56.

Chrome lining would make extraction easier but not having a 5.56 chamber might still cause stuck shells.

Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#2]
The above reply is what I would say.  Start from there and let us know!
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a similar problem with my then-new M4gery using a 14.5 barrel.  About every other case would remain in the chamber with a chunk ripped from it.

I replace my extractor spring and insert with one from www.specializedarmament.com:

SA05006
EXTRACTOR SPRING ASSY, HEAVY DUTY (W/ BLACK INSERT) (S.A.W.)
$5.00

No problems after that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Just a note:  Don't get hung up on the black insert, it's the exact same thing as the blue insert and the color is just for spring weight ID.

Link Posted: 9/2/2003 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Had this problem, found "crushed" extractor spring. Replaced spring, end of problem.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the quick replies.

Just looked at the cases, they show obvious marks where the extractor grabbed them. Cases were roughed up just a little. It doesnt look like they tore through. The Wolf case shows up better than the brass ones on the Olympic.

When I pushed them out with the cleaning rod, the brass came out with almost no force. The Wolf took a pretty stout shove to get it out. I went ahead and ordered the Wolf springs.

I looked at the extractor, no damage or visible problems. I'll try the springs, if that won't work I have a friend who will let me try a new Baer extractor.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Aren't the wolf casings laquered?  I have heard of them fusing to the chamber walls in some rifles due to this.  Also remember that when the round is fired the casing walls will expand under the heat and pressure of ignition making it harder to extract.  This may be why it is easy for you to tap them out later but the extractor is having a hard time the instant after the round is fired.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:47:30 PM EDT
[#8]
the laquer is not the problem,  I've tried to melt it with a blow torch and can't.  Likely its a .223 chamber.  This will lead to certain ammo sensitivity.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I had the same types of problems that you had. I was using wolf ammo with the red sealant around the case mouth. This stuff came loose in the chamber and after extended firing acted like a glue and caused FTE's. The chamber had to be cleaned several times during the session to get rid of this gunk, so I could continue to shoot the rest of the day.

The Olympic ammo has very soft brass. I have had FTE's with it in all of my AR's. Each one had the rim ripped off by the extractor. There are many threads around hear slamming the use of Olympic ammo.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 6:01:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I got in the Wolf springs and did a little torture test. 4 full 30rnd mags in about 90 seconds, mag 5 second round, fte. I am now sure it's the barrel. Its not chrome linned, and has a 223 chamber.

I am going to replace the barrel, but I'm also looking for a little advice. I know I want a 5.56 chamber, and chrome linning. I found Bushmaster, CMMG, and ADCO. The CMMG barrel is a DPMS, the ADCO is Rock River all chrome linned. I also e-mailed MSTN to see what Wes had, and inquire about the LMT bolt. Any one know of any other barrels that might be a good deal?

Also any thoughts on 14.5" with a permanent Flash suppresor, compared to a 16" barrel? It is not used for long ranges. Just thought I'd see if anyone had any good idea's before I drop the cash. Thanks          Gene
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Bushmaster 14.5 with mini Y, if you're going the post ban route.

I really like mine.

Great, very accurate and durable chrome lined barrel, inexpensive also.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Just my .02 cents but if I were going to replace the barrel I'd check out a Rock River Arms stainless bbl. with the Wylde(wild) chamber.  It's suppose to have alittle extra room in it so it'll feed and function with just about any kind of ammo you'd want to shoot.  Check it out and see what ya' think.   Talk to ya' later.  TN.Frank
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top