Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2003 10:48:00 AM EDT
So I've got the Bushmaster, a case of M193, and five Labelle mags on the way. I've also got the Bushmaster hard case, Bushmaster sling, a Bore Snake, plenty of CLP, a Dewey rod, and bronze brushes and cotton mops.

What next? Here's what I'm considering, and your input is appreciated. Most all of these items are from the Bushmaster catalog:

1. spare 10-rd. Bushmaster magazine.

2. universal loading tool

3. field repair kit

4. hard urethane pebble grained grip

5. M4-type handguards

6. JFS patrol carry sling

7. Trijicon front sight

8. Eagle padded carry case

9. receiver push pin tool

10. bolt carrier carbon scraper

11. Otis or G.I. buttstock cleaning kit

12. Chamber brush from Georgia Arms  

And somewhere down the road I'll get an Aimpoint and an ARMS mount...
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Lula Mag loader makes loading nice!
Robert

www.rbprecision.com
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations on owning your 1st AR.Good choice.Out of all those on your list, I'd say the spare parts kit would be most needed.You don't want to use the GI buttstock cleaning kits because the sectional rods can do more harm to your barrel than good.Your Dewey is probably all you'll need.An Otis kit is good to have in the field but not a necessity at the range.The chamber brush couldn't hurt either.I'd also stay away from the BM magazines and stick to USGI magazines to avoid any problems.Everything else seems to be just personal preference and what you're going to use your AR for.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So I've got the Bushmaster, a case of M193, and five Labelle mags on the way. I've also got the Bushmaster hard case, Bushmaster sling, a Bore Snake, plenty of CLP, a Dewey rod, and bronze brushes and cotton mops.

What next? Here's what I'm considering, and your input is appreciated. Most all of these items are from the Bushmaster catalog:

1. spare [s]10-rd[/s] [red]20 and 30 round[/red] [s]Bushmaster[/s] [red]USGI[/red] [s]magazine.[/s] [red]magazine[u]s[/u][/red]

2. [s]universal loading tool[/s] [red]LULA[/red]

3. field repair kit

4. [s]hard urethane pebble grained grip[/s] [red]HOGUE grip[/red]

5. M4-type handguards [red]which bushmaster do you have? these might not fit.[/red]

7. [s]Trijicon front sight[/s] [red]stick with the Aimpoint you mentioned below or a good tac light[/red]

8. Eagle padded carry case [red]up to you[/red]

9. receiver push pin tool [red]use the tip of a 5.56/223 round or your finger[/red]

10. bolt carrier carbon scraper [red]up to you[/red]

11. [s]Otis or G.I. buttstock cleaning kit[/s] [red]PITA and hurts your barrel[/red]

12. Chamber brush from Georgia Arms [red]up to you[/red]

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]
The receiver push pin tool and carbon scraper are not needed in my view. Those are just for separating people from their money.

If you plan to go with an Aimpoint down the road, nix the Trijicon front post unless you want two glowing dots instead of one when you mount the Aimpoint.

The Otis cleaning kit and the Georgia Arms chamber brush are probably the two most useful items on your list.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Lula loader, gloves, shooting mat, knee and elbow pads, ice chest (for drinks and water), optics, comfortable stock and sling, spare parts kit and spotting scope. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Stripper clips, bandos, and ammo cans.
Chamber brush.

Quoted:
Quoted:

1. spare [s]10-rd[/s] [red]20 and 30 round[/red] [s]Bushmaster[/s] [red]USGI[/red] [s]magazine.[/s] [red]magazine[u]s[/u][/red][blue]He already said he has the labelles out of the way. I wonder why he'd want a spare bushy. More USGIs. You can't be a mag whore with only 5 mags.[/blue]

2. [s]universal loading tool[/s] [red]LULA[/red]

3. field repair kit

4. [s]hard urethane pebble grained grip[/s] [red]HOGUE grip[/red]

5. M4-type handguards [red]which bushmaster do you have? these might not fit.[/red][blue]I think cav-arms has that profile for mid and full length.[/blue]

7. [s]Trijicon front sight[/s] [red]stick with the Aimpoint you mentioned below or a good tac light[/red]

8. Eagle padded carry case [red]up to you[/red]

9. receiver push pin tool [red]use the tip of a 5.56/223 round or your finger[/red][blue]Finger will get the critical ones. I keep a brass punch around just cause I don't like having live ammo with the rifle when I'm working on it.

10. bolt carrier carbon scraper [red]up to you[/red][blue]Stripper clip will get you buy if you really need to scrape carbon[/blue]

11. [s]Otis or G.I. buttstock cleaning kit[/s] [red]PITA and hurts your barrel[/red]

12. Chamber brush from Georgia Arms [red]up to you[/red]

View Quote
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Gunsnstuff.net has Galati rifle cases on sale for $44.50. I highly reccomend them, make sure you order the correct size for your Bushmaster.
A 500 count box of Q-tips will aid in cleaning.
A front sight tool will make adjustments easier, although you can use the tip of a bullet. Above all, have fun with your new rifle.
Prepare yourself for future expenditures, soon what you have now will not be enough.
Welcome to the sickness.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Holy smokes -- thanks for the fast input. I'll look into the LULA and Hogue and scrap the Trijicon. The push pin was because I can't seem to budge the (front) pivot pin, even with the tip of a cartridge. Maybe it just needs some time and oil.  

BTW, what does "PITA" mean?
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Pain In The Arse.
The front push pin can be tough, try giving it a good smack. You think it's hard getting out, try installing one.. It's the only thing that gave me trouble assembling my lower.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Scratch everything on your list and substitute a Colt AR-15!
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of mags (USGI 30's-- screw those 10's), and all the ammo you can afford. Practice, practice, practice!
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Lula mag loaders work great! I also use USGI strippers with guide also. I have several Ars, some upper/lowers have a very tight fit, so I bought one of those derlin nylon push pin tools from Steve @ adco. The tool works great, and you can hit it with the palm of the hand instead of using a hammer. you might want to buy a cleaning rod guide for that Dewey rod. Keeps the cleaning rod from contacting the crown of the muzzle when running the rod through the bore. Nix using the USGI cleaning kit, although it would be nice to use in a pinch to knock out a stuck shell casing. Spare bolt parts would be a great addition ejector, extractor, and the spring for each too. I bought a lug recess cleaning tool from Sinclair which cleans the hard to reach places faster than any other method I have used. A big bag of cleaning patches, and I use a Dewey style 22 cal jag to swab the bore out. I think it is better to use a new patch on the jag than using a dirty mop over and over. Oh yeah, I have CLP, but I use Hoppes to clean the bore-it goes back to the early sixties training. Sometimes I use Butch Bore shine to get out the copper fouling on on my SS barrels. I think everybody has given you some great Ideas and advice.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Ammo, more USGI mags, Otis is good. Most important is web gear/vest.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Hi markm. Funny, it came down to the Bushmaster and the Colt. I was looking at a -- what's the model? - Colt with a 16" barrel, A3 upper and A2 stock. It was $200 more and I really had my heart set on an A2 upper (see my screen name).
The Colt was very nice, I did a lot of research, and heard a lot of good things about Colt. But the Bushmaster has the A2 stock and upper AND the "patrolman's carbine" barrel -- that is, the M4 barrel. Very rare in these parts, and it's lightweight and points like a dream. So, I picked up a case of M193 for the price difference. Maybe someday I'll get a Colt... I'd really  like to save up $10,000 for a Class III and put that M16 muzzle brake to good use!
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't understand why everyone hates the 10rd bushy mags, they are absolutely great for shooting off a sandbag. I don't think I've ever stuck a 30 rounder in my RRA varminteer.

I would only get one method of cleaning the barrel, the rest are redundant unless it's a DCM or varminteer type gun. The bore snake would be my recomendation if carbine or standard rifle, dewey if it's gonna be a bench type gun. I would get the chamber brush and the Q-tips though.

Stripper clips are cheap and very usefull. Get a loader tool that takes strippers.

Also recomend the Hogue grip. And the sling of your choice.

The rest I would nix in favor of USGI mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Yup, lots of CLP, LOTS of Q-Tips, M193 ammo (MORE of it), USGI mags, LULA, Aimpoint, Hogue Grip, Good sling, case, and also a US gov't M16 manual, just to understand the basics.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't understand why everyone hates the 10rd bushy mags, they are absolutely great for shooting off a sandbag. I don't think I've ever stuck a 30 rounder in my RRA varminteer.
View Quote

A USGI 20 rounder is the same size as the bushy 10 rounders. With that said, the 10 rounder that came with my bushy doesnt even lock in place so I've never used it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#18]
My 10 round Bushy clip won't lock back either unless the bolt is back...
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the USGI 20s for bipod and sandbag work.

If your front pin is hard to get out, try this.

Push out the rear pin with your thumb. Pivot the upper so your lower is horizontal with the ground and your muzzle pointing at the ground (rotate approx 90 degrees).

Now try to remove the front pin with your thumb. Sometimes it helps to move the upper up and down while you are pushing on the pin and it should slip right out.

I have uppers that the front pin will not come out if I don't pivot the upper 90 degrees first. Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Use the clip to load the magazine, then you should be fine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

-------

Load 'em down a couple o' rounds and they work fine.

I agree their well built magazines, just poorly designed thanks to the 10 round post ban limit.

Link Posted: 9/2/2003 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, Ridge.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:46:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Pipe cleaners are handy as well.  I have polycarbonate "dowels" in various lengths and diameters I use to drive the pins out when they are tight.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Only thing on your list I would get is a good tactical sling and maybe the soft case. I MUCH prefer a ERGO grip to the Hogue.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Scrap most of your list, get some 20 or 30 round USGI mags, the Aimpoint and mount if you can swing it, and take a carbine class.

A good class will enlighten you as to what your next (accessory) purchase should or most likely will be.

My (unwanted) .02,
havoc
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree with most of the suggestions so far.  I can't believe that people haven't correctly instructed you to purchase an EoTech instead of that darn Aimpoint yet.  [}:D]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for all the replies. I'm really more of a software than a hardware guy, meaing I know the gear doesn't matter that much as long as you've got the basics. I guess that's gun, mags, ammo, and cleaning gear. Everything else can wait.

That being said... I'm leaning towards creating my own buttstock cleaning kit with a Bore Snake, some CLP, a universal magazine loader, some spare parts (firing pin, extractor, extractor spring, and cotter pins) and MAYBE a push pin tool in a heavy duty ziplock bag (I still can't get that pivot pin to budge). I'll also buy a chamber brush to go with my at-home cleaning kit.

The soft bag can wait until I've got the cash. I'll use the Bushy hard case for now, and then look at Blackhawk in the future.

No to Trijicon, patrol sling, bolt scraper, and 10-rd. mags (I'll buy a couple of GI 20's instead.)

I'm still up in the air on the grip, though...

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#28]
A2, check this out.
[url=http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/howtoupgradeyourusgicleaningkit.msnw]Improved cleaning kit from Maryland AR-15 Shooters Site[/url]
And, if you haven't already, check out this site. [url=http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/mainpage.msnw]The Maryland AR15 Shooters Site[/url]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I've never used the carbon scraper, but have read a lot of posts here that they don't do their job and are useless.

I had the Hogue grip, but the finger grooves were too far apart; made my hand uncomfortable.  Try it out first, you might like a "groove-less" style grip better (i.e. the Ergo or TangoDown).  I do like the Hogue's rubber feel though, very good surface especially in wet conditions.  

Also, do price checks.  Bushmaster catalog is more expensive than others for the same items.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top